Live aboard Volkner rocks and White island?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pisicola

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there,

i would like to organize a liveaboard trip to Volkner and White ISland. Does anyone know a boat that operates in that area?

Many thanks!

M.V Ma Cherie out of Whakatane does liveaboards and trips out there.
Give John a call or send an email;

Phone: 0064 7 307 0015
Boat: 0800 4 940 324
Fax: 0064 7 307 1364
email: Johnbaker@divenfish.co.nz

John is really the only choice, an excellent skipper - you'll have a great time if you use him. Boat is a little snug, though, and only sleeps 6.

Not many, not for a liveaboard. There are day trips out of Whakatane, but not many skippers like going to Volkner Rocks unless they know the people on board.

A few years ago, I did speak to someone about doing a week liveaboard out of Tauranga, taking in White Island and Volkner Rocks along the way. It never came about, and for the life of me I can't remember the name of the boat/skipper.

Are you looking for a larger boat, or something cheaper than John?

Hi Andy,

Many thanks again for the contact.

We were looking for the best possible price... We are a bunch of marine biology students willing to dive these beauies but we do not have too much money laying around...

In case we end up organising the trip, you are more than welcome to join us if you wish

Regards

How many is "a bunch"? Never used Abyss, so no idea what they are like or whether they will even go to Volkner.

You've got me thinking about it now, though. Thinking of a 4-5 day trip in October, out from Tauranga to the Taioma and Mayor Island for the first day, the across to Volkners for a couple of days and back via Astrolabe Reef and either the Taupo or the Taioma.

More details here:

www.scubadive.net.nz • View topic - Abyss Safaris

Volkner Rocks is unmissable, simply the best dive site in the country. It's worth ever cent, even if you have to eat baked beans for six months to afford it. John recently quoted us for a three day trip, worked out about $600 a head which is not so bad really. He's fairly relaxed as a skipper, which has it's plus points (you'll find out if you go with him!).

If you are short of numbers, let me know - can easily rustle up people for a trip to Volkners!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom