First dives since OW cert in Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm chiming in late. Since you'll travelling to Florida anyway, you should take advantage of the opportunity. However, you really should think about some quality time in Bermuda, with a 17 YO daughter, you've earned it. The diving I did there was as challenging a swimming pool. Lots of wrecks in a variety of conditions and depths (from intact to scrabble fields).

P.S. Bermuda is very nice & convenient for you to get to (flights from Newark), but bring your wallet.

Same Key Largo advise as the other posts....My preference is Ocean Divers where I take most of my classes to. Very professional and very helpful to folks with your experience level.

Another note, for starters before you head out to the "big lake", do a dive in Jules Lagoon....not the prettiest dive, but a great place to refresh your skills...there are shallow platforms. The lagoon also houses the 'underwater hotel and if there are no guest in the hotel, you can swim up into the "moon room"

A lot of the offshore diving around you may be beyond your ability at this point, but check around for a local quarry. As great as diving in KL is, it's a haul and it costs a bit, while the local mud hole may not be as scenic, but it's not the investment in time and money to get some good practice. I look at my local quarry as a driving range for diving. I go there to practice and meet other divers, then when a trip to the OBX or KL is in store, my skills are better and I can better enjoy the trip. Getting 20 dives in the quarry last summer made my April trip to the keys so much better, I got to spend more time on the bottom, had so much better bouyancy and overall was able to be comfortable enough in the basics to enjoy my surroundings rather than focusing the mechanics of diving part.

Tampa doesn't have much to offer other than beautiful springs about an hour to two hours to the north. We have the gulf which doesn't offer a whole lot for vacation divers.

The keys are a great place to dive but how about a trip to the Bahamas? Stuarts Cove in Nassau is a great place and they cater to you. It is some GREAT diving, nice blue waters. They offer dives from shallow divers for beginners all the way up to some deep, night or wrecks dives for advanced divers.

A lot of the offshore diving around you may be beyond your ability at this point, but check around for a local quarry. As great as diving in KL is, it's a haul and it costs a bit, while the local mud hole may not be as scenic, but it's not the investment in time and money to get some good practice. I look at my local quarry as a driving range for diving. I go there to practice and meet other divers, then when a trip to the OBX or KL is in store, my skills are better and I can better enjoy the trip. Getting 20 dives in the quarry last summer made my April trip to the keys so much better, I got to spend more time on the bottom, had so much better bouyancy and overall was able to be comfortable enough in the basics to enjoy my surroundings rather than focusing the mechanics of diving part.

I couldn't agree more. Here in Tampa, the Gulf of Mexico is very hit and miss. Visibility is usually 30ft but at times we get top-to-bottom visibility's. Aside for hunting the the gulf there is not a ton to see. Most of the marine life is on the east coast, Jupiter and West Palm.

My wife and I dive the gulf two tanks at least twice a month to stay active and meet fellow divers. All of your diving doesn't have to be the greatest scenery but it should help you improve your skills.

When you do make your trips on vacation you will enjoy them more when you aren't worried about your skills. I'm not suggesting you not go on a vacation and enjoy your dives by any means! I'm just trying to suggest that you don't have to go to somewhere exotic to get your experience to be comfortable.

Elizabeth if one of those schools happens to be ECU, drop by and talk to us about the diving program here. If not, come to NC when you're ready and we'll help you any way we can.
Mike

I'd echo dwatts post...

If you are up for a drive down the coast from Orlando, I'd try to connect up with Scubakevdm. He is a SB sponsor and runs a charter from Boynton Beach. When my (13year old) daughter and I were down in Florida in March we had arranged to go out on a charter.

We also only had a couple of dives post certification. Unfortunately the weather didn't cooperate, and she came down with a cold....I did get a chance to dive the Blue Heron Bridge as an alternate site with Kevin and it was an excellent experience.

You should check out "The Boynton Dive Chronicles (new and improved)" on the board. Lots of excellent pictures to whet your appetite and great guidance for first dives after certification.

Back
Top Bottom