Private Dive Guide?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaBunny88

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all,

You’ve sold us on going to Curacao. My husband (non diver) and I will be there at the end of April. I’m considering Ocean Encounters. I’ve emailed for information but, after calling some other shops, it seems hard to hire a private guide.

Is it typical to be able to hire a dive guide that’s private? The first dive of the trip will be my 5th dive and I want someone knowledgeable to go through my buddy check and be an engaged/alert buddy underwater. I’m worried about holding up a group if I need to go slow to equalize and/or getting left behind/lost. I’ve read bad dive buddy stories over on Reddit and would like to feel supported as I gain experience in my first post cert dives. I also would like to take advantage of the shore diving opportunities.

I’m considering doing a specialty course while down there (underwater navigator or coral restoration). I thought about AOW but I want to get comfortable with just OW dives and not have a ton of pressure like Deep. My OW cert was in Key Largo and our max depth was 33ft, so Deep intimidates me a bit. I was totally comfortable in Key Largo and felt good with my buoyancy/awareness but I don’t know how 60ft will feel compared to 33 and I haven’t had a lot of varying conditions experience. We had super clear visibility. I dove in really poor visibility for my first two OW dives in a lagoon, but it was only 20ft deep.

TL;DR: how do I hired a private dive guide, is this normal, and does anyone recommend someone in particular?

I've dove with guides in Curacao that were also working with students. I'd reach out to someone like our favorite operator (the Dive Bus) and see if they can meet your request.

They are very responsive to email, and even have a Skype and WhatsApp options to reach them from Stateside.

They have a great staff, and their house reef is a great location to build confidence.

I've dove with guides in Curacao that were also working with students. I'd reach out to someone like our favorite operator (the Dive Bus) and see if they can meet your request.

They are very responsive to email, and even have a Skype and WhatsApp options to reach them from Stateside.

They have a great staff, and their house reef is a great location to build confidence.
Thank you! Am I missing out on anything in Curaçao by only doing shore dives and not going out on a boat?

Thank you! Am I missing out on anything in Curaçao by only doing shore dives and not going out on a boat?

In 4 trips, we have never set foot on a boat. Enjoyed every moment of it.

You also then maybe have another reason to go back....

Consider shore dives. Then you have no issues holding anyone else up no matter how long you take to get ready or to descend. It may be easier to hire a private guide since they won't be taking up a spot on a boat. Maybe contact Dive Bus or the shop at some of the beach sites.

One advantage of a boat dive is being able to buddy up with the guide. I have heard good things about Oceanencounters and if staying at Lions Dive or Sunscapes they would be a good choice. Keep trying to contact them as they should be able to help you out with a guide or guided shore dives. The Dive Bus is another good recommendation above.

You really need to have an honest discussion with the operator. Whe we were in Curacao the week before Christmas, I was talking with the OE shop. He told me they were absolutely crushed with full boats and no break. You may not be able to get the desired level of attention.

Point is, you need to have a serious discussion of what your needs and expectations are.

On my last month long trip to Curacao, we used the Dive Bus for all shore dives, and on several of those dives we had new divers in our group of three or four. With the Dive Bus, you will not need a private dive guide. They are patient, laid back, will take great care of your needs, and you will have wonderfully fun dives. I had a blast hanging around with the inexperienced divers in 30-60 FSW.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom