Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ez E

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
New member here. Was NAUI OW certified back in 2001. OW certificate was done at Ginnie Springs. Great experience. Got to do an optional night dive after my mandatory dives which was great. Unfortunately I was young at the time and never kept up on my diving because of cost to travel.

Well I took a comprehensive PADI refresher back in February to prepare for a trip outside the country. I wanted to dive with my buddy who was also certified.

Well we did and what an experience. My first time diving in 22 years. First time in salt water. First time in the ocean and first time with massive surge down to like 15 feet.

Well I am hooked again. Just purchased a 1st and second stage, octo and console with SPG and aqualung i300c computer. I purchased a shearwater Peregrine before the trip to “test” because I didnt know how strict they would be on needed a computer for a guided dive.

Planning a few quarry dives for the summer and then need to purchase a BCD.

Sorry for the long intro. Thanks everyone.

First time in salt water. First time in the ocean and first time with massive surge down to like 15 feet.
Welcome to ScubaBoard? Where did you go and how many dives did you get in? See any interesting marine life?

Richard.

Welcome to ScubaBoard? Where did you go and how many dives did you get in? See any interesting marine life?

Richard.

Went to Aruba. Went on one dive. Was planning 2 dives for the next day on some wrecks but cancelled due to a cough and some lingering sinus issues. Was pretty upset about that but didnt feel comfortable with the cough starting to pick up frequency. The most interesting thing was I think its called a Trumpet Fish. A strange animal with a horn for a snout.

Richard.

And “massive surge” is probably a huge overstatement. But man I feel like I was getting tossed around like a rag doll on the drop line waiting for the others to enter. Never experienced surge before(as I have never dove the ocean).

Likely it was a trumpetfish; there is another type of fish, the cornetfish, that has a 'filament' off the tail fin.

Surge can become a problem. In shore diving, in the shallows it can knock you over or sweep you into iron shore, causing abrasions, or fire coral (and the sting is pretty painful). Whatever you call it, it's something to be mindful of.

New member here. Was NAUI OW certified back in 2001. OW certificate was done at Ginnie Springs. Great experience. Got to do an optional night dive after my mandatory dives which was great. Unfortunately I was young at the time and never kept up on my diving because of cost to travel.

Well I took a comprehensive PADI refresher back in February to prepare for a trip outside the country. I wanted to dive with my buddy who was also certified.

Well we did and what an experience. My first time diving in 22 years. First time in salt water. First time in the ocean and first time with massive surge down to like 15 feet.

Well I am hooked again. Just purchased a 1st and second stage, octo and console with SPG and aqualung i300c computer. I purchased a shearwater Peregrine before the trip to “test” because I didnt know how strict they would be on needed a computer for a guided dive.

Planning a few quarry dives for the summer and then need to purchase a BCD.

Sorry for the long intro. Thanks everyone.
whalecome!

Likely it was a trumpetfish; there is another type of fish, the cornetfish, that has a 'filament' off the tail fin.

Surge can become a problem. In shore diving, in the shallows it can knock you over or sweep you into iron shore, causing abrasions, or fire coral (and the sting is pretty painful). Whatever you call it, it's something to be mindful of.

We took a 20 minute boat ride from the dive shop to our dive location. It was reasonably close to shore. Close enough that swimming there would not even worry me. I got slight abrasions on my knees because I was wearing a shorty and was kneeling on the bottom(not on coral) to work through some issues.

Glad to have you in the dive community! The more the merrier

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom