Any Reason to Stay NAUI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WOW!!!
While I appreciate the difference between NAUI, PADI & SSI...a NAUI diver (or a diver from any of these agencies) commanding respect?......

.....Well, that has got to be the funniest (and saddest) sh!t I have read on the internet this year!

The agency you are certified through does not get you respect...not being a sh!t-show in and out of the water is a start but even that doesn't "command respect". Reality is that no one really gives a cr@p about what agency you got certified through, the recommendations were only to steer you towards more throurough/robust training, but in the end it is ultimately the diver not the certification card/agency that matters.

-Z

So it was poor wording on my part. I should have separated my 2 thoughts into 2 sentences. But while being on a phone and typing sometimes stuff is said poorly.

My intent was not “I like being a NAUI diver and WE command respect” which is how it sounded.

My intention of THEY meaning the organization.

It would have read better as two sentences.
“I like being a NAUI diver”. NAUI(as in the organization not individual divers) commands respect”.

The whole intent of my post should have came off as “I like NAUI. They are a well respected organization. But I have never been to my local shop that certifies through NAUI. But the local owner of an SSI shop seems like the real deal”.

Thats how it should have came off if it was written slightly better.

Anyway I would love to get back on the topic.

So it was poor wording on my part. I should have separated my 2 thoughts into 2 sentences. But while being on a phone and typing sometimes stuff is said poorly.

My intent was not “I like being a NAUI diver and WE command respect” which is how it sounded.

My intention of THEY meaning the organization.

It would have read better as two sentences.
“I like being a NAUI diver”. NAUI(as in the organization not individual divers) commands respect”.

The whole intent of my post should have came off as “I like NAUI. They are a well respected organization. But I have never been to my local shop that certifies through NAUI. But the local owner of an SSI shop seems like the real deal”.

Thats how it should have came off if it was written slightly better.

Anyway I would love to get back on the topic.

Don't let them intimidate you. They are going to nitpick no matter what.

NAUI divers are a cool bunch and command highest respect indeed!!!

That may be true to some degree but I am an absolute **** show in the water until about 15 minutes in when my nerves calm. But that is because Im inexperienced and just came back to the sport after a 22yr hiatus.

And thanks for the kind words. I felt like an idiot after seeing the responses to my “dumb” post.

I first began diving at the YMCA, but followed up with NAUI courses in college (in reality, for access to boats as a then-starving student) and was also impressed with its comprehensive coverage of dive theory, history, and elements of medicine -- and they were the organization for scuba education throughout the University of California system.

That said, I cannot comment too much on other programs, aside from SEI/CMAS, which took up the Y's gauntlet, after they discontinued their programs in the early 2000s. Many of my European friends went that route; and from what I could tell, SEI/CMAS shared that quality of education that many on this thread have attributed to NAUI.

Their pre-interwebs record keeping did leave something to be desired -- when I sought to replace an old nitrox certification card, from the early-1990s; and NAUI could find no record of me, aside from an unrelated college course.

They were gracious though; just had me take a brief online test, gratis (I passed); and gave me a bright and colorful voodoo gas "Nitrox Diver" card, for the price of FedEx Priority Delivery, back in 2018 . . .

I first began diving at the YMCA, but followed up with NAUI courses in college (in reality, for access to boats as a then-starving student) and was also impressed with its comprehensive coverage of dive theory, history, and elements of medicine -- and they were the organization for scuba education throughout the University of California system.

That said, I cannot comment too much on other programs, aside from SEI/CMAS, which took up the Y's gauntlet, after they discontinued their programs in the early 2000s. Many of my European friends went that route; and from what I could tell, SEI/CMAS shared that quality of education that many on this thread have attributed to NAUI.

Their pre-interwebs record keeping did leave something to be desired -- when I sought to replace an old nitrox certification card, from the early-1990s; and NAUI could find no record of me, aside from an unrelated college course.

They were gracious though; just had me take a brief online test, gratis (I passed); and gave me a bright and colorful voodoo gas "Nitrox Diver" card, for the price of FedEx Priority Delivery, back in 2018 . . .

Good to know. I was not able to retrieve my OW certificate from NAUI when I tried back in February(certified originally in 2001).

I had to call and list my instructor and address at the time and they were able to find me(thank God).

Got my new card and all is good.

SEI/CMAS, which took up the Y's gauntlet, after they discontinued their programs in the early 2000s. Many of my European friends went that route; and from what I could tell, SEI/CMAS shared that quality of education that many on this thread have attributed to NAUI.

SEI was bought recently by the former NAUI training manager and most staff now are/were NAUI instructors. They have a lot of work to do but they have good background in quality training. I know all/most of them very well.

But that is because Im inexperienced and just came back to the sport after a 22yr hiatus.

Understandable, you had a non-NAUI refresher, that's why :p

And thanks for the kind words. I felt like an idiot after seeing the responses to my “dumb” post.

This is ScubaBoard for you, they attack you and may appear to be aholes at the beginning, but the greater majority of them deep down, hydrox deep, are nice people and mean well :)

This is ScubaBoard for you, they attack you and may appear to be aholes at the beginning, but the greater majority of them deep down, hydrox deep, are nice people and mean well :)
This is nothing compared to ar15.com

Reactions: Zef
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom