My experiences and comparisons of PADI and NAUI Master Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tigerpaw

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
A month after earning OW, I had taken and passed the PADI Dive Theory course which is a prerequisite for Dive Master. I didn't want to be a dive master, I just wanted to learn as much as possible. Less than a year after Open Water, I had met the criteria to be awarded PADI Master Diver. However at that time I personally didn't feel right calling myself a Master Diver with only 50 dives and I was still working on my buoyancy. I felt that my skills should be better and that I needed more experience, so I made the decision to get 100 dives under my belt and revisit it. As I hit the 100 mark, I read about NAUI Master Diver and was intrigued.

Under PADI you just need Rescue Diver and FIVE specialties, once you have that you pay a fee and you're a Master Diver.

NAUI actually has a course for Master Diver, you have to take an e-Learning module, followed up by 4 weeks of classroom time. The coursework has an emphasis on physics as it relates to diving. Yes we have dive computers but the NAUI way is that a diver should understand how the different gas and pressure laws of physics work. The other reason is that a Master Diver should be able to explain those principles to new divers. As I mentioned earlier, I have taken PADI Dive Theory after OW, while it is very detailed it does not go into as much depth and detail as NAUI does.

Courses with PADI are set and instructors must teach what is on the curriculum. With NAUI the instructor has the option to introduce additional material or tasks that would benefit the diver. PADI doesn't teach charts/tables, I learned because I asked my instructor and she took the time and showed me, with NAUI not only was chart/table reading taught, the instructor gave us extra scenarios to work out. During the Rescue pool session, we were required to do the tow but our instructor decided to have us do the ENTIRE rescue from finding the diver to getting them out the pool. So NAUI takes that extra step and makes sure a diver is well equipped with knowledge and skill ABOVE what is required. Part of becoming a NAUI Master Diver is being Rescue certified. My instructor waived me having to take NAUI Rescue since I was PADI Rescue trained BUT I still had to go through the Rescue sessions and I'm glad of that. With PADI Rescue if you find a submerged diver you bring them to the top by slightly inflating their BCD. NAUI doesn't teach that because there's a possibility of putting too much air in the BCD and having a run a way ascent. (Speaking of ascents, PADI is 60ft/sec while NAUI is 30ft/sec.) Also NAUI taught something very important during the first aid portion, you have to dry off the victim and ensure there are no puddles of water while using an AED because of shock hazards to everyone involved.

So after the e-Learning, class and pool sessions it's time to head to the lake for OW dives. There are a total of 8 dives, 4 are required and 4 are electives, they are spread out over a 2 day weekend period. I had taken full certs for those dives previously with PADI (Deep, Nav, Night, Rescue, Search and Recovery, Wreck) so it helped me out. That being said those dives with NAUI were more detailed, for instance for the Deep/Deco dive we practiced deco stops at 30, 20 and 10 feet, while using a DSMB. PADI Deep we only did the 3 min safety stop at 15ft and no DSMB. I loved the Nav course because we had to find the starting point and then from there, there was a placard with a heading to our next point, all together we had 5 stations to navigate to.

Once again my intent is NOT to bash PADI, I'm just recording my experiences with BOTH organizations. As mentioned before, part of the issue with PADI is that they let the diver pick the dives they want to do, whereas NAUI says this is what you will do.

And the last comparison, NAUI Divemaster candidates must take the Master Diver course before they start the Divemaster program.

I am happy to say that after challenging and pushing myself, I am now a Master Diver with Both PADI and NAUI agencies. I have enjoyed my time learning, diving and meeting new divers. I can say that regardless of organization, good instructors will help you out and that divers in general are good people. Even though I have those ratings I am still working my craft and am trying to continue to get better and more proficient, in spite of the title I still see room for improvement and will strive to do so! Also, this experience has taught me that it is good to dive with different organizations to experience how they do things.

Yes, thanks for the details and some things I didn't know before. PADI's MSD has it's flaws IMO, the biggest one being that you can (I think) include in the 5 required specialties certain courses that either don't require dives (Nitrox for one) or aren't directly related to diver safety or improvement (Fish ID, Project Aware, etc.). OTOH, if you take five of the "good" specialties you can exceed the number of dives in the NAUI MSD Course. As a PADI MSD and Divemaster, my opinion has been that while a lot of the theory is very informative and interesting, some of it really doesn't make a difference regarding your own safety or that of students. Like, as long as you do know your tables/computer, of what real value is the pressure/heat, etc. formulas or knowing half lifes of compartments or M Values? I do think the changes to the PADI DM program in about 2015 made more sense. PADI MSD is basically a badge and doesn't pretend to include any of the complicated theory. I like the inwater stuff you mentioned that NAUI does. PADI probably could do well to include some of that in MSD.

NAUI's Master Diver course is solid and despite that I will never teach for NAUI, I have to recommend it with a quality instructor. At a minimum, people should buy the book for it. It should be on every serious diver's bookshelf.

Thanks for the comparison report, but a number of your facts and assertions are not correct.

Less than a year after Open Water, I had met the criteria to be awarded PADI Master Diver.
Master Scuba Diver, not Master Diver. The later is a Navy term.

Under PADI you just need Rescue Diver and FIVE specialties, once you have that you pay a fee and you're a Master Diver.
You also need 50 logged dives.

Courses with PADI are set and instructors must teach what is on the curriculum.
No, they MUST teach what is in the curriculum, but can add material so long as it is not required for certification.

PADI doesn't teach charts/tables,
Optional; chart/tables are not forced on you.

NAUI not only was chart/table reading taught, the instructor gave us extra scenarios to work out. During the Rescue pool session, we were required to do the tow but our instructor decided to have us do the ENTIRE rescue from finding the diver to getting them out the pool. So NAUI takes that extra step and makes sure a diver is well equipped with knowledge and skill ABOVE what is required.
Which is why Rescue is a prereq for PADI MSD. No need to insert it into follow-on training.

Speaking of ascents, PADI is 60ft/sec while NAUI is 30ft/sec.
PADI says do not exceed 60, and follow your computer if it wants you to go slower.

NAUI taught something very important during the first aid portion, you have to dry off the victim and ensure there are no puddles of water while using an AED because of shock hazards to everyone involved.
Myth.

I loved the Nav course because we had to find the starting point and then from there, there was a placard with a heading to our next point, all together we had 5 stations to navigate to.
That's dive #2 of the PADI Navigation course, which was apparently not one of your specialties.

I am now a Master Diver with Both PADI and NAUI agencies.
You are a Master Scuba Diver, not a Master Diver.

The NAUI Instructors I know, and the one I trained under, required double the number of dives.
Plus freediving training.
I remember having to retrieve a 5lb weight from the 30ft platform.
As well as the doff and don in the deep end of the pool. And the bailout along with station breathing.
Doff and don - drop all gear except exposure suit in the deep end. Surface and within 30 seconds dive back down and put everything back on.
Bailout- Stand at the edge of the deep end pool with everything in your hands and tank valve off. Giant stride in and don everything as you are dropping. Turning the air on first.
Station breathing - 3 or 4 divers in different corners of the deep end. All leave their BC at a signal and swim to the next one. Don it and take 4- 5 breaths. Repeat as many times as the instructor wants. At the end, whatever gear you end up with, get neutral and horizontal and swim a circuit of the pool and surface.
It was a fun class.

Master Diver and Dive Master - not exactly the same thing
Of course. But on these "MSD" threads the theory in the NAUI MSD course is often compared to that in the PADI DM course.

It was a fun class.
Yes it was, hard but fun.

Edit: Deleted my long post, too munch info.

Thanks for the comparison report, but a number of your facts and assertions are not correct.

Master Scuba Diver, not Master Diver. The later is a Navy term.
True. It is Master Scuba Diver, but for some reason NAUI card says Master Diver on the front and Master Scuba Diver on the back.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom