NAUI Rescue vs NAUI Advanced Rescue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe I didn’t formulate it clearly but what I was wondering is whether a dive shop will still request to be shown an AOW card when a diver shows his Rescue c-card (in the case the dive op needs to split the group between OW and the rest for example).

1) Basically can we just carry the Rescue card or do we need to bring both card?
2) And for 1), does it matter which agency issued the cert?

That will vary from dive op to dive op. It would be best for you to carry your AOW card as that, in the eyes of most every dive-op, would permit you to participate in just about any recreational dive they offer (non-overhead environment other than swim-throughs and the like).

My advice is that a Rescue Diver certification card is not a guarantee of the training expected and the certifications required by the dive-ops' insurance company, and while some may accept it, there is no guarantee. And while an op might accept it one day, the next they might not....they will, however, always accept your OW, AOW, Divemaster, AI, Instructor certification card as adequate proof of certification/training (whether one is truly adequately trained to that level or not). You may even find that with the above cert cards, that some dive ops want to see a Deep Diving specialty card for participation on dives past certain depths even though deep diving scenarios are part of the Divemaster, and Instructor curriculums. And many places will insist on seeing a drysuit training certification card before renting a diver a drysuit despite their stated or logged experience, and some will even require the card for one to participate in a chartered dive where a drysuit is required (some of the ops in Iceland) even if one is bringing their own drysuit.

The bottom line is that what you need to present is entirely up to the dive op you are participating with. And...except as a mark of personal achievement, one's rescue cert does not really mean much.

-Z

Okay thank you @Boarderguy and @Zef

1) just carry and present your AOW. Nothing else matters unless you get MSD or become a DM/Instructor and WANT to show them.
2) agency didn't matter nowadays

Regarding 1) I find it confusing how dive ops ask for highest certification.
I just checked 3 of them, they’re not related to one another and are in fact located in 3 different continents.

They all have the same hierarchy it seems, which includes Rescue in this order.
That’s the reason of my question 1)

Attachments

• 6DC3E93E-FC5F-4653-A3BC-94A98A926871.jpeg
    6DC3E93E-FC5F-4653-A3BC-94A98A926871.jpeg
    42.1 KB · Views: 50
  • 64CF4D80-210E-4557-9EA1-F2706AF4C19A.jpeg
    64CF4D80-210E-4557-9EA1-F2706AF4C19A.jpeg
    22.7 KB · Views: 67
  • F76D24D9-2B2E-40E5-BB71-89CA801C489E.jpeg
    F76D24D9-2B2E-40E5-BB71-89CA801C489E.jpeg
    31.3 KB · Views: 46

I just checked 3 of them, they’re not related to one another and are in fact located in 3 different continents.

You're over complicating it my friend. Just give them your AOW and blow bubbles. Nobody cares that you're a rescue diver or have your advanced deep ring blower. If the planned dive requires something specific then present that one. There are many instructors here who only present their AOW instead of instructor or DM because it isn't necessary for the dive op to know. Nobody will chastise you for not saying you have rescue.

You seem to be stuck on the idea that Rescue Diver certification is a part of a training hierarchy, despite acknowledging in an earlier response that it is "ancillary" training. You can continue to delude yourself of this, or you can accept that dive training organizations just use a flow-chart like graphic/list to show what they offer, and that the position of Rescue Diver in that graphic/list is because there is an expectation that one has a modicum of experience before taking that course whether that experience is an actual agency requirement or not....I don't even believe the agencies care other than that you are paying for the course and the instructor is following the agency's standards when teaching it.

Another poster mentioned that those certification questions on dive op forms are for marketing purposes. The information is also used for statistical analysis by the dive op and the agencies whose umbrellas they are under.

You can akeep asking the same question, rephrased in however many different ways, but the answer will remain the same....carry/present your AOW card (or DM, AI, Instructor card if you have one and desire to show it), as there are no guarantees that your Rescue card will be accepted as a credential that allows participation on a chartered dive.

Or you can chance it and do whatever you want as an adult, and if your chosen dive op accepts it, you get to dive, and if they don't, you get to argue with them until they tell you to pound sand. You can also call/email the dive op you plan to participate with and ask, but like I mentioned in my previous post, a dive op may accept a Rescue cert as valid one day and they may not the next...it is up to the shop and their liability insurance provider....they may tell you over the phone or by email that they do accept it and then use your question as the basis to get clarification from their insurance provider who tells them no they need to see a primary training card (OW/AOW/DM/AI/I) and forget to contact you. Then you can have them do a diver verification lookup on the website of whatever agency you are certified through.....

......Just check that you are listed before you travel because if your training was outside the US then the regional office might not automatically add you to the digital database lookup, as an example, NAUI Europe does not consistently automatically add divers credentials to the NAUI diver verification database. I had to send scans of my wife's and daughters' certification cards to a point of contact at NAUI US to have them added. And PADI Europe won't list my that I am qualified to teach "Discover Scuba Dive" because I did not have active liability insurance when my DM instructor finally sent them the paperwork, due to the fact that I was in the midst of a move back to the US in an area where my diving opportunities would be more limited and my European based professional liability insurance would not be valid anyway....and PADI US has little contact and file sharing with PADI Europe, so PADI US has no record of my DSD teaching qualification...nice eh?! If PADI US had a copy of the paperwork stating I completed the prerequisites they would list it among my credentials, but would list my teaching status as "not active" or some such until I provided them proof of professional liability insurance....PADI Europe operates differently...who would have thunk it!

OR you can just carry your primary training certification card when you travel and/or participate on dive op led dives....not sure why that is such a difficult thing to accept and do.

Vous etes majeur et vacciné!

-Z

You seem to be stuck on the idea that Rescue Diver certification is a part of a training hierarchy,
So how you do interprete that (genuine question)?

6E691DC5-33E3-450A-893C-CF4ABF5DD635.jpeg

7985F043-A7FF-4281-9A05-682073EEDF03.jpeg

......Just check that you are listed before you travel because if your training was outside the US then the regional office might not automatically add you to the digital database lookup, as an example, NAUI Europe does not consistently automatically add divers credentials to the NAUI diver verification database. I had to send scans of my wife's and daughters' certification cards to a point of contact at NAUI US to have them added.

Thank you, didn’t know that

So how you do interprete that (genuine question)?

View attachment 763198

View attachment 763197

BSAC is a club/member based training organization. Despite the italicized print below each group level in the chart you posted, any BSAC instructor accepting one as a student will evaluate what certifications one holds from whatever organization issued them, along with their actual dive experience....it is doubtful to me that a BSAC instructor, and I know a few of them, would accept someone as a student for one of their training courses without at least seeing that person dive in a pool to get a sense of their ability and knowledge. I know of one specific occasion when BSAC instructor friend of mine, demanded that a NAUI Advanced certified diver take remedial training with him before accepting him to the requested training course, because the NAUI certified diver was a veritable shitshow in the water.

Just saying.

-Z

What it means is that having the equivalent non-BSAC level listed on the left side is not a guarantee than they will be able to enroll in the next BSAC level, it is not enough in practice and it is conditional on the instructor’s evaluation/verification of the diver qualifications in open water. That’s fair, and no surprise here.

But on the other hand, is this non-BSAC qualification a minimum required/prerequisite to enroll in the next BSAC level? If it is, then this statement below isn’t correct in my opinion

You seem to be stuck on the idea that Rescue Diver certification is a part of a training hierarchy,

I’d rather only carry one card than a collection of different cards. So aow it is then

What it means is that having the equivalent non-BSAC level listed on the left side is not a guarantee than they will be able to enroll in the next BSAC level, it is not enough in practice and it is conditional on the instructor’s evaluation/verification of the diver qualifications in open water. That’s fair, and no surprise here.

But on the other hand, is this non-BSAC qualification a minimum required/prerequisite to enroll in the next BSAC level? If it is, then this statement below isn’t correct in my opinion
It is BSAC that is the outlier; the other agencies are in general agreement with the OW, AOW, RESCUE sequence. Also, you need to carry two cards; AOW and Nitrox.

You seem to have taken this conversation in a very pedantic direction.

You have asked some questions seeking advice. Advice has been offered by multiple people who seem to echo similar sentiment. You can either accept that advice or reject it. It is entirely up to you.

My advise, in particular, is worth about as much as you have paid for it.

I wish you well in your diving endeavors.

Cheers,
-Z

Back
Top Bottom