NAUI Rescue vs NAUI Advanced Rescue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you really want to get an apples to apples comparison, use the WRSTC guidelines. All of the major cert agencies follow those minimum standards at this point...
RSTC STANDARDISO STANDARDALTERNATIVE ISO TITLE
Introductory Scuba ExperienceNo equivalent
No equivalentLevel One DiverSupervised Diver
Open Water DiverLevel Two DiverAutonomous Diver
Dive SupervisorLevel Three DiverDive Leader
Assistant InstructorLevel 1 Instructor
Scuba InstructorLevel 2 Instructor
Instructor TrainerNo equivalent
No equivalentService Provider
A quick note. There is a WRSTC standard for Supervised Diver.

You should also include Enriched Air Nitrox certification: WRSTC standard and ISO 11107:2009

BSAC now has two Advanced diver grades.
1. Advanced Ocean Diver, and
2. Advanced Diver.

The first takes an Ocean Diver to 30m and teaches mid-water DSMB deployment with some navigation, the second is an individual capable of organising dive trips anywhere from any platform using OC, CCR and/or trimix; they may or may not be an instructor.
The chart above gives one answer. If you are looking at the nearly universally recognized training standards from WRSTC and ISO, "recreational diving" is 40m max, compressed air or nitrox to 40% only. Outside of instruction, there is only one certification for autonomous divers - Open Water for WRSTC and Autonomous for ISO - and one certification for Nitrox. Everything else depends entirely on individual decisions by agencies or local operators.

Just to be clear PADI does not require AOW to enroll in Rescue, they just require Adventure Diver, this is a screen shot from the rescue class webpage (Rescue Diver | PADI)

View attachment 763994

If I am required to show an AOW card for the day of diving Ill show them a photo of my AOW card and that's it. There is zero reason to show the Dive Op anything higher than that.

I'm not trying to challenge or belittle you but I just think you might be misinformed.

that’s precisely why I said in my post that it’s not technically correct! Though that’s what dive shops seem to be considering, and that’s the whole point of my question…

I lost my AOW card a while ago but still have my Rescue. So I’m wondering if I have to pay and get a new replacement card or whether the Rescue card will be considered enough (I mention ‘consider’ here, not what should be true based on training, etc.)

that’s precisely why I said in my post that it’s not technically correct! Though that’s what dive shops seem to be considering, and that’s the whole point of my question…

I lost my AOW card a while ago but still have my Rescue. So I’m wondering if I have to pay and get a new replacement card or whether the Rescue card will be considered enough (I mention ‘consider’ here, not what should be true based on training, etc.)
Rescue should be enough, but you never can tell when you'll meet an ignorant desk jockey.

The easiest thing to do is send an image of your card when you are arranging things and ask if that's sufficient. If not, you can decide then if it's worth paying PADI for the electronic card. BTW, ops can look up certs issued by their affiliated agency (if any).

You have introduced your question multiple times in multiple ways in this discussion thread, which would lead one to believe that you don't really care about the true answer, you just seem to want people to tell you that "yes, its ok to just carry a Rescue Diver card when you travel"...but you keep getting told otherwise.

The reality is that we now know why you keep beating around the bush about your issue, as you introduced the missing info and your true motives in post #44 where you finally revealed that this whole circle jerk of a discussion is because you lost your AOW card.

Since nobody will ever ask to see a Rescue Diver card for any purpose, and since you have the option not to get a physical card for any of the classes you take...why not forego the physical card for Rescue and instead invest that money in a replacement for your AOW card.

Or just eat the expense and get a replacement AOW card....just stop being so ridiculous about the issue....

....and please open a new discussion thread when the topic you want to discuss shifts.

-Z

You’re speaking with authority as if everyone was agreeing with what you say. On this very same forum there’s some people stating something different (including the famous Andy ‘Devondiver’ so not just a rando).

So yes I’m trying to get opinions/experience from other people, living in different locations around the world, to increase the sample size and see if there’s a trend.
You can still reply to me with your patronizing tone what you think is true for all the dive ops in the world and all regions, yet the sample size will not increase.

The question is very much about the average trend of what dive ops do around the world, which means the answer at best must come from different people’s experiences. Unless you’re the Michelin guide inspector of dive shops?

so please let other people answer if they want to, I’m not forcing you to police this thread.

You’re speaking with authority as if everyone was agreeing with what you say. On this very same forum there’s some people stating something different (including the famous Andy ‘Devondiver’ so not just a rando).

So yes I’m trying to get opinions/experience from other people, living in different locations around the world, to increase the sample size and see if there’s a trend.
You can still reply to me with your patronizing tone what you think is true for all the dive ops in the world and all regions, yet the sample size will not increase.

The question is very much about the average trend of what dive ops do around the world, which means the answer at best must come from different people’s experiences. Unless you’re the Michelin guide inspector of dive shops?

so please let other people answer if they want to, I’m not forcing you to police this thread.

What????...you are being totally ludicrous. The prevailing advice (including my own) is that you can't be sure that any dive op will accept Rescue certification in place of AOW....

....given how statistics work, no matter your sample size, you will never attain an absolute for what you are asking...so the reality is that your Rescue cert MAY be accepted...but your AOW cert WILL be accepted.

My tone is related to the fact that you have been disingenuous by adding information every time you have posed your question. And the reality is that no matter what you add, or how you ask it, you will still have the same result: There is no guarantee a dive op will accept your Rescue cert in place of AOW.

There is nothing about what I am posting that in any way prevents another from adding their opinion or expertise to this discussion.

You can obfuscate your foolishness with your statements that you are seeking knowledge and want good discussion but in reality the aggregate of what you have posted is that you are seeking validation of your notion that a Rescue cert card will work for your travels. You may find it does, 100% of the time, for those times when you travel and those places you travel to...but you will never know beforehand....and it doesn't matter how many people chime in on this, reality will remain the same.

Either accept the gamble, or stop being a cheapskate and buy a replacement AOW card.

-Z

Either accept the gamble, or stop being a cheapskate and buy a replacement AOW card.
Or check with your op in advance.

Zef's point is correct. Our experience doesn't matter. There is no requirement for a dive op to accept a rescue card for anything. The only way to know for sure is to check in advance. If you can't or won't do that, then I suggest you replace the card.

Back
Top Bottom