Calling all doctors... real ones, not tv characters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubamountaingirl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
may i ask some professional advise? They tell me (which i already knew) I have sleep apnea...they want to put me on oxogen at night. will this affect my diving? if it will I wont do it....:shakehead:

then they want to do the apnea machine at night. will this affect my diving? :popcorn:

thanks if you can answer these questions.

x0x0x0x0x wendy

I'm not a doctor, but I'm pretty sure breathing oxygen at night wouldn't affect diving. Now, if they tell you that you have to breath the oxygen WHILE diving at night... maybe a problem. :)

may i ask some professional advise? They tell me (which i already knew) I have sleep apnea...they want to put me on oxogen at night. will this affect my diving? if it will I wont do it....:shakehead:

then they want to do the apnea machine at night. will this affect my diving? :popcorn:

thanks if you can answer these questions.

x0x0x0x0x wendy

Wendy - You may want to post this in the Marine Science and Physiology forum instead rather than here. The professionals are in that forum.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/marine-science-physiology/

thanks sam i will....hey i just went there and there is a current post with the same question...right on sammy...

Just trying to help my fellow DNYers. :kiss2:

Why not just ask your doctor who wants to put you on the machine. All the machine does is force oxygen into you to keep the airways open, so there is no reason it should affect your diving. I know people who with the same problem that sleep with the machine and dive the next morning.

Well in theory, breathing oxygen at night would reduce your nitrogen loading, which would make diving safer.

OTOH, if you are diving Nitrox, you may exceed your daily OTU's. Probably not likely, but worth checking with a doctor familiar with diving.

matts thats exactly what i was wondering. my dr. knows NOTHING about diving. and we all know it takes classes to understand the ox. to nitrogen theory.....

so i will continue to get feedback. so far its only been positive.

funny how people are talking a lot about falling asleep. in all the years and years i have had this, i have just pushed through. never nap....but i know i hold my breath when i sleep. what a drag for me...why would my body want to do that????

Wendy,

I have used a VPAP w/o O2 since 2004. If I try to sleep without it, I don't. Severe sleep apnea begins at 40 episodes per hour; I was tested at 84 per hour. It takes a few days to get used to the mask and positive pressure; now I don't even notice it.

As per your diving, it will have no effect at all, except you will be more alert and you will not fall asleep while driving to the dive.

My biggest problem is I need electricity for the machine where ever I sleep, ie. no camping w/o electricity. (Remember I was looking at campgrounds local to DS that had sites with electricity)

This is great now I have a dive buddy and a campsite buddy! Welcome to the sleep apnea family. :D

On the serious side, get a medic alert account and tag, (you see one on my neck at all times). Problem is if I were to pass out or be knocked unconscious for any reason, I would not "wake up" to breath and would suffocate if some one did not tilt my head back.

I don't think I would need mouth to mouth, but if I did it is okay for you or Sam to help me out. :wink:

John

wow. from the mouth of a flea dog. who could ask for more???

as for me and sam at the same time, money would be involved...for diving of course..

w

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom