Recommendations for Wreck Diving in N.C.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sytech

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I plan to drive from Central, New Jersey to one of the wreck areas in North Carolina later this summer when the waters get warmer.

Can I get some recommendations for areas where I can find some areas with decent wreck diving which are convenient to some motels? I have never done "wreck diving" per se but have dove wrecks in the Caribbean. I have AOW from PADI & NAUI, Nitrox, Solo and other certs..

I think I don't have to have certification for wreck diving but would consider taking a course anyway.

Ideally I would prefer some area in northern North Carolina (to minimize my travel) but also am aware that the waters would tend to be colder there.

Any recommendations for towns, dive shops and motels/hotels which are good places for a "wreck diver newbie" would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Sy

Cape Hatteras comes to mind , I was there last weekend & if you can get on 1 of JTs
Capt JT's Wreck Diving Site trips you don't have to worry about a hotel, he lets you stay on the boat at the dock the night before you dive, AC & cable TV.
Check out my trip report. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/mi...ers/290134-trip-report-hatteras-part-1-a.html
or http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/mi...ers/290135-trip-report-hatteras-part-2-a.html
With some pictures http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/mid-atlantic-bottom-feeders/290136-few-pictures.html

Lots of people come from Jersey to the Morehead/Beaufort area. It's a little further south than Hatteras on the map, but I'm not sure it's any further in terms of travel time. Hatteras is an end of the road kind of place though, and that makes it unique.

In the Morehead Beaufort area, there is lodging within walking distance of almost all of the dive boats. Olypmus in Morehead runs a divers lodge, Discovery in Beaufort is blocks from downtown, and there are motels on the Atlantic Beach causeway for the boats docked there.

Taking a wreck diving class on your first day is a fantastic idea, mainly because you get a private guide to show you the ropes and give you a tour of the wrecks. It makes it much easier to get over the first NC dive jitters.

FWIW - the waters now are warm (from Hatteras south, anyway). Come sooner rather than later, if you can. The longer you wait, the more time you leave for the tropical storms and hurricanes to come along and mess things up. Some years they give us fits; other years they never really cause problems. You just never know.

Thanks very much for your feedback.

Would would the ocean temps be these days?

Sy

Lots of people come from Jersey to the Morehead/Beaufort area. It's a little further south than Hatteras on the map, but I'm not sure it's any further in terms of travel time. Hatteras is an end of the road kind of place though, and that makes it unique.

In the Morehead Beaufort area, there is lodging within walking distance of almost all of the dive boats. Olypmus in Morehead runs a divers lodge, Discovery in Beaufort is blocks from downtown, and there are motels on the Atlantic Beach causeway for the boats docked there.

Taking a wreck diving class on your first day is a fantastic idea, mainly because you get a private guide to show you the ropes and give you a tour of the wrecks. It makes it much easier to get over the first NC dive jitters.

FWIW - the waters now are warm (from Hatteras south, anyway). Come sooner rather than later, if you can. The longer you wait, the more time you leave for the tropical storms and hurricanes to come along and mess things up. Some years they give us fits; other years they never really cause problems. You just never know.

In the beaaufort/ Morehead City region I've been reading temps are consistently in the 70's. Fireflock provides sound advice.

Contact Mundo (El Tiburon) from the Dive NY forum on this board. He has 3 days booked in August and needs a couple of divers and may have accomodations as well. He is booked with me in Morehead City.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom