Question Caribbean Dive Recommendations - Long Weekend Options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh how I would love to see some black groupers anywhere!

Last summer in Bonaire, we had one stop to check us out. The thing was massive too. My camera was setup for macro and I couldn't get any good pictures of it.

Last summer in Bonaire, we had one stop to check us out. The thing was massive too. My camera was setup for macro and I couldn't get any good pictures of it.
Our last trip to Bonaire in 2014 we spotted just one, at Klein, a juvenile maybe 1.5 ft.

We were going with Tiano but I guess they pulled their boat due to the swells
Aquatic in Aguadilla is going out Saturday morning and we are booked with them. They sounded great and helpful on the phone

Are you going to Desecheo? I had like 5 or 6 attempts with Taino to no avail.
Honestly, I’ve never heard of anyone going there with Taino. I think they bluff about going there but never do

Aquatic in Aguadilla is going out Saturday morning and we are booked with them. They sounded great and helpful on the phone
Can you please report back about how it goes? Specially if you do indeed end up going to Desecheo.

Don't leave PR out of your consideration! The West Coast and the 2 islands (Culebra and Vieques) in particular. Easy to travel to and there are a number of amazing spots - Parguera Wall is stunning.

Grand Turk- Turks and Caicos. Blue Water Divers- stayed at Osprey Inn. Home - Blue Water Divers, Grand Turk
You should be able to get to Provo easily then you can take a hop on Intercaribbean or Caicos Air to Grand Turk. Rent a golf cart of just a bike or walk- that dive op and that inn are across the street from each other with other places to eat within walking distance- been twice, loved it.

My vote is Barbados good diving, great top side bars and restaurants and not on the hurricane track

That's one of the reasons why I'm focusing on caribbean. I dive SE Florida pretty much every week, sometimes multiple times a week if I can move the work meetings around appropriately. Caribbean is pretty much the backyard, where a flight is often direct and no longer than a drive to WPB or Key Largo. The way I figure it - a trip out on a Wed/Thurs, dive Friday/Sat Morning, and then fly on Sunday should allow for plenty of room for no-fly time and allow 6 dives or so. If I like a place I can always make another trip, if I never go I never get the experience. This post is an effort to try to maximize that first experience.

However, you paint a pretty bleak and depressing picture, would love to know what you are comparing it to - not sure if you've seen them at their peak and comparing it to then, or to diving in the coral triangle, or what.
I have old college friends in West Palm Beach and Pompano Beach. I visit regularly. I have never been to a Caribbean island that matches those locations for value. Some have better conditions, but I've never been to one that's a better value. Unless you're rich, I think you should stick to Florida. That being said, I've never been to Bonaire. I've been told that Bonaire is the best value in the Caribbean so maybe research that option.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom