Question Where to go.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxE

Contributor
Reaction score
As the topic suggests I'm looking for a dive destination and asking for some suggestions. Here is things about me and what I’m looking for.
I’m based in the Southern US, I do travel on a budget so cheap flight options and accommodations. I’m probably more comfortable with a dirt bag lifestyle than luxury. I would like the ability to dive a ton on a trip, 2 morning dives and sitting on my ass is not my speed. Most likely will travel alone but like to dive with others. Bonaire is appealing but would want to take advantage of the shore diving but a week of solo shore diving sounds kinda lonely. I would like to dive somewhere I have not been. Cozumel checks all the boxes but have done that already a few times, same with Cabo. Coco view also further bill but again done that.
Kinda kicking around Belize but I’m reading AGC is expensive. Caymans has a great reputation but again seems in the luxury side and expensive. I’m ok to spend some money if it makes sense but spending less on this trip means more money for the next. Looking late winter early spring
Open to hear suggestions

Turks and Caicos, on either the Explorer Venture or the Agressor boats. You can do five dives a day if you like and either work out well for a single traveler.

Could do a Black Beard cruise in the Bahamas, often described as camping on the water, and quite a bargain from what I've heard. Want to do one my self but the wife likes a little more luxury and isn't keen on the whole live aboard thing.

You could start your time on Bonaire doing some boat dives with Dive Friends or whichever hotel you stay at. If your the sociable type you'll find other solo divers and or groups to hang out and dive with.

The EV Saba/St Kitts/St Maarten LOB is a bit less expensive that the T&C boat and still loads of diving. But the Blackbeard package is hard to beat, but fewer dives and amenities.

If you want quality in your diving, like living reefs and abundance of fish, stay out of the Caribbean and Florida. If you look at some of the threads and trip reports for various Caribbean dive destinations, you'll find that coral bleaching, overfishing, and stony coral tissue loss disease is rampant. I've been to a dozen islands in the Caribbean over the last couple of years and the conditions keep getting worse.

You could consider hopping across the Pacific Ocean to Fiji, French Polynesia, or Southeast Asia. Or Hawaii--flying to Hawaii is cheap enough, but hotels, food, and diving is fairly expensive, and you'll have to rent a car.

IMO, avoid Bonaire, St. Croix, St. Eustatius, Belize, Honduras, Bahamas, St. Maarten, St. Thomas, Grand Cayman.

If your budget limits you to the Caribbean, I went to Curacao in December 2021 and February 2023, and there was a noticeable difference in the reef and fish life in 2023, but it was still good diving.

I did a liveaboard in the Sea of Cortez last summer and it was nice. Lots of fish and sea lions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom