Where to go: July in Americas/Caribbean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've got a load of freedom to decide a diving trip in July and would hugely appreciate some input.

I've got 25 days and a nice flight allowance from my company to use up - probably enough to do two locations even. I'm based in Brazil and would like to go somewhere in the Americas or Caribbean. I don't want to go somewhere super expensive or pay $6k+ for a liveaboard. I've already done Galapagos and Honduras.

Any thoughts on good places? I was thinking maybe half the time in Bonaire and half the time in Cozumel? Any other suggestions or thoughts on 12 days Bonaire + 12 days Cozumel would be very welcome.

Have to be somewhat careful choosing Caribbean locations in July. Hurricane season... and experts are predicting it to be "extremely active" this year.

I would probably stay away from north and northeast Caribbean in July. That leaves ABC, Belize, Roatan and potentially Cozumel on the table

Bonaire and Cozumel are two great choices, both offering some of the best of the Caribbean. I would also suggest Cuba's Jardines de la Reina and the Island of Culebra off of Puerto Rico.

I didn't realize they're predicting an extremely active hurricane season this year. Cozumel has had a LOT of days with the port closed this year. I wonder if those events are connected? Cozumel will be very hot in July - it can be oppressive. But the water will be great, and it's not an expensive place to hang for a couple of weeks.

In the past I’ve done well diving just about anywhere in the Caribbean up to the second week of August (been to Little Cayman multiple times 1st/2nd week of August). It’s definitely toasty, but that feels pretty good during SIs. The water is warm and unless you’re in or around a storm the water is glass. After that I head for the “below the hurricane belt” locales i.e. Curaçao/Bonaire. Have fun. 😎

You could save a little on the diving by hitting shore dive destinations. You didn't mention if your traveling solo and solo certified or with a diving companion. That could alter recommendations

Cayman Brac/ Grand Cayman 10 days between the two.

Bonaire/Curacao 1 week each.

Use the shore dive savings for upgraded digs, and dining

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom