Question Suggestions for First Non-Caribbean Dive Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Patrick Star

Patrick Star

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello All,

Thanks to your recent excellent advice, I have booked a trip to Bonaire for this upcoming November. This will be my third lifetime dive trip, preceded by Belize and Roatan. All have been spectacular (Belize was 11 years ago, and still in great shape). I feel like it is time to branch out and explore an area other than the Caribbean, and I am hoping you all can offer some suggestion.

I live in New England, USA, and am contemplating getting something scheduled for March-April, 2025. I have never done a liveaboard and would certainly be up for that experience, especially if it will get me off the heavily-travelled path. There are so many places I have heard of as being great diving destinations, only to learn on our forum that such glowing assessments are a bit aged. Current travelers report sometimes significant and recent declines in reef health.

I don't even know where to start or how to narrow it down. What would be a good first non-Caribbean destination to consider, balancing diving conditions with distance from the East Coast of the US?

Thank you all, again, for your great advice.

Not necessarily for the dates you suggested, and what I'm adding is more 'to consider later' in some cases. I'm adding these because not all 'beyond the Caribbean' destinations are equally far flung.

1.) Jupiter, FL - goliath grouper aggregation in fall, lemon shark aggregation in winter, and also a popular shark feed diving destination (which some disagree on doing, and I don't recommend without more experience including shark experience) for tiger sharks, great hammerheads and more. Tends to be deep and use nitrox. I've dove with tiger sharks there; they weren't as big or numerous as I see in Bahamas Tiger Beach trip reports, which is fine for me - a tiger shark close to 10 feet long, alone or with one other, is plenty rich for my blood.

2.) North Carolina - deep offshore wreck diving with sand tiger sharks and historical wrecks. Good for history and getting experience with scary looking but largely harmless (if you don't grab one, etc...) sharks. Long boat rides, rougher seas than typical Caribbean at times. I don't think your dates would work.

3.) California - kelp forest, sea lions, harbor seas, very different experience. Colder water, and the added exposure protection is a hassle, plus there likely won't be a free dive guide.

4.) Galapagos - expensive, but really neat, and the plane trip won't be as arduous as some 'other side of the world' destinations. I've been once. A cheaper option would be the Socorros, which you're not feeling ready for yet.

5.) Someone already mentioned the Sea of Cortez region, I think; Cabo Pulmo, Cabo San Lucas, etc...

I'm not really suggesting you go for one right now; I just want you to know of some different type diving options that aren't so far away, as you branch out and seek variety.

Red Sea would be my next choice after Caribbean diving. Easy diving, significant upgrade in terms of things to see, easy to get to from the east coast of North America, and they have inexpensive liveaboards.

Philippines after that. Another upgrade in things to see, relatively easy to get to from North America. There are direct flights to Manila from several North American cities.

Indonesia leave for last because once you have been everything else pales in comparison. It is a big place so there are lots of options but it is difficult to get to - long flights, multiple days of travel.

Cold water diving Vancouver Island. The water is very cold and it is not cheap, but it is pretty special.

Around the same time as your proposed trip.
Right on point, Centrals. Thank you. And Kimela always does such a nice job with her posts.

I'm adding these because not all 'beyond the Caribbean' destinations are equally far flung.
I appreciate you pointing out some great spots right here in North America. It is the difference between tucking in a quick getaway versus 24-36 hours of travel time one way. Thank you,.
Indonesia leave for last because once you have been everything else pales in comparison.
This is in line with my thinking (working my way up) and greatly appreciated.

Right now, I am torn between The Red Sea and The Philippines/Thailand as my next, major dive location.

Great suggestions and thoughts. Thank you so much.

Indonesia leave for last because once you have been everything else pales in comparison. It is a big place so there are lots of options but it is difficult to get to - long flights, multiple days of travel.
This! Long travel - but so worth it!!!

Right now, I am torn between The Red Sea and The Philippines/Thailand as my next, major dive location.
Using Darnold's suggestion of working my way up, which of the above options might be just a little less spectacular than the other. Assume diving at the respective "best times of year."
Any and all tie breakers appreciated!

If you're weighing 'other side of the world' options, Your Opinions on First Time Coral Triangle Destinations may be useful.

If you are looking at the Philippines, a large set of islands with many options ('the Philippines' is like saying 'the Caribbean'), I suggest taking a good look at @Trailboss123 trip reports on Puerto Galera staying at El Galleon and diving with Asia Divers. Judging from what I've seen on this forum, this is a strongly reputable option cheaper than staying at an Atlantis Resort (if that's of interest, ScubaBoard did an Invasion there and you can read their experiences).

His 2019 Trip - Trip Report - Trip Report-Philippines-Puerto Galera-El Galleon/Asia Divers-April 1-14, 2019

In late 2023 he went back and also hit Dumaguette - Trip Report - Philippines: 3 weeks in Puerto Galera and Dumaguete

If I were aiming for the Philippines, I'd default to modeling my trip off his with a couple of minor modifications - I'd do the full meal plan, as I am not a vegetarian/vegan and large portions are quite alright with me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom