Shore Diving/Travel Destinations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Larry G

New
Reaction score
My wife and I have made a lot of dive trips around the Caribbean. We keep going back to Curacao and Bonaire as they have great diving. Like most dive destinations, they offer 2 tank boat dives in the morning. Curacao and Bonaire also have very easy and plentiful shore diving. But, we'd like to try another island (Caribbean). Anybody know of dive destinations that offer 2 tank boat dives AND good shore diving for early morning, afternoon, and evening diving?

Suggestions appreciated!

You've been to the main 2. Other potential shore diving destinations are Grand Cayman (which Scubadada already covered), Cayman Brac and St. Croix. I wouldn't put St. Croix on par with Bonaire and Curacao, but I enjoyed my trip there years ago; since then a hurricane hit and a lot has changed, but my old trip report might give you some idea.

St. Croix Research Report Aug. 2017 - Trip Report - St. Croix Research Report Aug. 2017

@drrich2 What’s that place you went to in Roatan? CoCo Puff?

IMG_3506.jpeg

I would recommend Cayman Brac for an interesting shore diving alternative to Bonaire. They have around 25 sites accessible from shore (20 on the north side and 5 on the south side). We just got back from a 2-week trip - one week in Little Cayman and second week on Cayman Brac. We did 2-tank boat dives in the morning and shore dives in the afternoon / evening / night (including a few great shore dives on Little Cayman's north side). We even skipped a few days of boat diving on Cayman Brac for extra shore dives. We have been to Bonaire several times. That has historically been our go-to destination for shore diving. The underwater topography is more interesting on Little Cayman / Cayman Brac, and you do see a lot more smaller pelagics than Bonaire (reef sharks, nurse sharks, many eagle rays, groupers, and also outstanding massive barrel sponges everywhere). Bonaire I feel has slightly more colorful reefs (more soft coral) and noticeably more fish, and the expense of what can become redundant underwater topography. We love Bonaire and it will always have a place in our heart. However, we will also definitely be returning to Little Cayman and Cayman Brac to spice things up. Happy to provide more details on our trip!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom