Possum Kingdom

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

procraft1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Does anyone still dive PK, if so where are the best spots? Last August I dove at Hell's Gate is there a better spot?

It's been 2 years since I dove PK.

Yes, we make PK a couple of times per year.
Hell's Gate isn't really one of the best places on the lake to dive, unless you're looking for "treasure" (items that have been dropped overboard and lost by party-boaters). Better spots are nearer the dam (although you must stay out of the restricted zone, so be careful), perhaps Governor's Cove or the nearby vicinity. I also enjoy diving along the wall near lake marker 12, and there's a little cove near marker 18, too, that is usually fair. Generally, the farther "upriver" you go, the more visibility suffers. Also, on my last trip there, we found that if you dropped below the first sharp thermocline, vis opened up quite a bit. We were near the north opening of Hell's Gate cove and went down to about 45 feet. The first 25 feet or so was typically low vis, about 5-8. Once we got below the thermocline, vis was well over 20 feet but, naturally, it was VERY cold, probably about 58 degrees.
Have fun exploring around for good spots!

I haven't been there in years - mainly because it's about a 4hr. drive & I don't have access to a boat anymore.

That's where I did my 1st dive. 70ft and who knows how long. Charlie (the guy who taught me how to dive) was the guy with the boat. Hell's gate was always a blast because of all the stuff we'd find - anchors, masks, fins + a B-load of cool sunglasses.

There's a small cove right accross from the dam then a bit North that was great. Fairly shallow - about 45' - with the best vis on the lake everytime. It became our "must do" spot. A few folks would pull their boats in, but they were all just coasting to a stop so they could catch a few rays.

Enjoy!!!

Thanks I am going to try PK in about 2 weekends. I will let you know how it is. Also does anyone know for sure if catfish can be legally speared, it used to be illegal but several people have told me the law has changed, I have not been able to confirm.

Texass, I think that cove to which you are referring is the same one my friends and I know as "Governor's Cove". It is, indeed, one of the better spots, particularly if it's been a while since a rain.

And I have no idea whether the laws have changed on spearing catfish...in any case, be absolutely certain your shot is backed. The vis certainly isn't good enough for "blind shots", that's for sure. Oh, and don't shoot any of the "volkswagen-sized" catfish we all know are on the bottom. They're protected.

:wink:

does any one know if scuba point is still open? I'm heading to PK this weekend and it used to be a great walk in spot.

as i recall all scuba operations on PK have closed. I dove there once, about 17 years ago.

that sucks...I wonder if their is any places to get air in the area now? and on to yahoo and sniff around.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom