Possum Kingdom

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yup, Scuba Point is closed, and I don't know of any place nearby that has air service. Bring your air--and a boat--if you plan on diving PK.

Hello all!!
I had a very interesting weekend on PK, first is that Scuba Point is gone maby for good, but the flip side is that right next door is a dive club of sorts called the Inland Divers Association and they do allow divers to dive their property.
also in a bit of news is that the new owner of SP will allow divers to dive his park soon as he gets his wavers in...I do not know what this means as far as what a diver can an cant do?
On a bad note I did not get to dive either of these spots, as SP wont allow it yet and IDA had closed gates! but I did dive at Sand beach...I would not recomend this for any one! I do have phone numbers for the new RV park if anyone wants them!

enjoy Diver's!!!:D

I haven't dove out there since Scuba Point closed down. The last time that I was there we didn't even get into the water because there had been a bunch of rain and they opened up the flood gates and all the sediment in the water came rolling downstream. The water was the color of chocolate milk. (I stood in knee deep water and couldn't see my feet)

If anyone has dove PK recently, I would like to know how it went and what the vis was like. (probably crappy). I have has some really nice dives out there with great vis (25ft), but they were few and far between. But for some strange reason, it never bothered me and I almost always like diving at PK. (maybe because there was usually a small crowd)

Randy

The loss of Scuba Point has been a difficult one for me personally. The place opened in 1959, and really was a Texas Scuba icon. I have fond memories of my dad and I boating in PK back in the 70's....SP was always a stop for us. If I didn't have my own mask, snorkel and fins, dad would rent them for me at SP. I liked to swim on the shelf, around the piers, and just hang out talking to the divers. The sounds of laughter, clanking and hissing...and back then you'd still see the occasional double hose reg. It was the first place I went when I got certified so I could finally see all the things those divers told me about. It was the place I always took my friends and it was where I always went just to dive. Great wall dive that never got old to me. My final dive out there, though I didn't know it at the time, was summer of 2007 just before all the floods.

Going to Scuba Point was like going home for me...I'm glad I got to enjoy 30+ years out there. I know this doesn't answer your questions or really add anything to this thread...just needed to say this...and I REALLY hope the new owners open it back up to divers. I wonder if Goldfinger is still there?

Last time I was on their website, which was still up, there was a cell number for a guy named Todd (817.821.2477). I called him and he said he was running the place but it was still closed.
He did tell me however, that if we called him and he was available or around the lake, he would be able to provide an airfill. I assume with Goldfinger, but I didn't think to ask...

the guy that owns SP now is Don Zahan his RV park is called LakeSide RV his number is 940-779-3731. I hope he does plan on opening the park back up to diving. and if not, he does not mind you swiming over from the Inland Divers property witch is right next door.
and if any of this dive club is on line please send me a line and maby a phone number thanks!

on a more personal note like joe-diver I spent a lot of time here when I first got into diving. just not as many years! but my wife and I spent many summer day's and night's here and camping around the area.

Do a Google search for Inland Divers Association. You'll get a hit on one of their old newsletters with contact info for their officers. It's a couple of years old but may be worth a shot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom