"Solo Diving" Books, good ones?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where exactly did I say that DIR mindset is the same as solo? I simply stated that mental aspects of diving are just as important as any others. This is of course taught in very few OW courses today thanks to the dumbing down of standards by all but a very few agencies. I don't try to modify the DIR mindset. I merely compare it's importance to that of the mindset of one who chooses to dive solo. Lighten up.

And as to the other issues have you seen some of the people coming out of these weekend OW classes? They know nothing about streamlining, trim, buoyancy control, or intelligent gear selection.

My comparison's to DIR methodology are based on the articles I have read by JJ and the diving I've done with DIR trained divers. I just apply those principles that make sense to my solo excursions. If this is some kind of blasphemy of DIR, oh well, it works for me and that is what counts. I can dive in a team or alone. My gear does not change and is acceptable to the DIR divers I know and really differs very little. So I see no issues with drawing a comparison.

Where exactly did I say that DIR mindset is the same as solo? I simply stated that mental aspects of diving are just as important as any others. This is of course taught in very few OW courses today thanks to the dumbing down of standards by all but a very few agencies. I don't try to modify the DIR mindset. I merely compare it's importance to that of the mindset of one who chooses to dive solo. Lighten up.

And as to the other issues have you seen some of the people coming out of these weekend OW classes? They know nothing about streamlining, trim, buoyancy control, or intelligent gear selection.

My comparison's to DIR methodology are based on the articles I have read by JJ and the diving I've done with DIR trained divers. I just apply those principles that make sense to my solo excursions. If this is some kind of blasphemy of DIR, oh well, it works for me and that is what counts. I can dive in a team or alone. My gear does not change and is acceptable to the DIR divers I know and really differs very little. So I see no issues with drawing a comparison.

No need to request that I lighten up, I don't mean to sound anything but. I am not a member of the scuba police and I am genuinely interested in the perspective of others. I didn't think I was being that heavy handed, however I guess I just thought it was more than even mildly ironic that you are using a paper by the founder of GUE to emphasize the importance of the mental aspect of diving and stretching that to cover the mental aspect of solo diving.....

I don't think this is "some kind of blasphemy of DIR" as we both know that none of the various components that go into making up "DIR" belong to any agency or any one person. Pick and choose how you like. But gear alone does not make a diver any more DIR than the next. I would argue that the most fundamental difference does go to mindset and this takes us back to the beginning of your other post. Adding some white paint to a crow does not change it into a magpie.

I do have some questions though about how your gear configuration 'differs very little" from the gear you use solo diving. I am legitimately curious here. Why would you use a 7' hose solo diving? Also, does a manifolded set of doubles and a bungied necklace satisfy your requirements for a redundant gas supply or do you carry a pony bottle or something like that? What about the various gear a DIR team will distribute amongst themselves for redundancy, such as reels, back up masks, SMB's etc. Do you carry all of this equipment yourself? Again, I am genuinely curious. How do you feel about the argument that the most important source of redundancy a team carries is the extra brains. What is the solo divers response here? Do you simply accept the extra risk involved and thats that? I don't know many solo divers so I am really quite interested in the different way of approaching diving that a solo diver has from myself. Just curious here and not attacking anybody or anything.

How do you apply the "team concept" (sic) to a team of one?

I am also curious as to how you see a team of 4 operating.

I see a team of four operating as two teams of two - the concept doesn't scale up past three, without introducing addtional complexities.

There are a lot of reasons why I really enjoy diving in teams of three - resolution of problems, flexibility of gas reserves, voting logic etc. As you scale down to a team of two, you lose some of that. As you scale it down to a "team of one" it becomes more problematic again.

In a team, we'd split roles and reponsibilities for the dive (and swap them when needed due to cirumstance). For a "team of 1", all of those reponsabilities need to be fulfilled by the one person.

Equipment that would be shared amongst the team, particularly things that potentially miight fail, need to be carried by the one person.

It might be trite, but if scale down the team concept to a team of 1, it does give you an idea of what is required for a safe solo dive. Of course, you cannot add additional brains, but....

I see a team of four operating as two teams of two - the concept doesn't scale up past three, without introducing addtional complexities.

There are a lot of reasons why I really enjoy diving in teams of three - resolution of problems, flexibility of gas reserves, voting logic etc. As you scale down to a team of two, you lose some of that. As you scale it down to a "team of one" it becomes more problematic again.

In a team, we'd split roles and reponsibilities for the dive (and swap them when needed due to cirumstance). For a "team of 1", all of those reponsabilities need to be fulfilled by the one person.

Equipment that would be shared amongst the team, particularly things that potentially miight fail, need to be carried by the one person.

It might be trite, but if scale down the team concept to a team of 1, it does give you an idea of what is required for a safe solo dive. Of course, you cannot add additional brains, but....

I wasn't sure what you were getting at with a team of 4, so that is why I asked. Yes, a team of 4 is like herding cats and the best way to deal with that is two teams of two.

Funny you mentioned the additional brains thing. That was one of the questions I asked in my questions to Jim above. How do solo divers deal with this question or is it just something they accept they cannot address in terms of redundancy. Not my place to judge however I do have my own views.

<snip>. . .

I do have some questions though about how your gear configuration 'differs very little" from the gear you use solo diving. I am legitimately curious here. Why would you use a 7' hose solo diving? Also, does a manifolded set of doubles and a bungied necklace satisfy your requirements for a redundant gas supply or do you carry a pony bottle or something like that? What about the various gear a DIR team will distribute amongst themselves for redundancy, such as reels, back up masks, SMB's etc. Do you carry all of this equipment yourself? Again, I am genuinely curious. How do you feel about the argument that the most important source of redundancy a team carries is the extra brains. What is the solo divers response here? Do you simply accept the extra risk involved and thats that? I don't know many solo divers so I am really quite interested in the different way of approaching diving that a solo diver has from myself. Just curious here and not attacking anybody or anything.
Yes. . . full AL80 doubles and a 7' long hose is my standard base set-up here at home in SoCal for solo or team diving, with hogarthian protocol for either overhead or open water. . .

Funny you mentioned the additional brains thing. That was one of the questions I asked in my questions to Jim above. How do solo divers deal with this question or is it just something they accept they cannot address in terms of redundancy. Not my place to judge however I do have my own views.

I am an odd beast, quite happy to switch from a team diver to a solo diver.... so I guess I have an interesting take on things.

All of the issues related to redundancy of equipment whilst solo diving can be resovled, but the lack of multiple brains (and voting logic) is the one thing that can't. I would hazard a guess that many solo divers don't think about it that much.

For me, I assume that my brain only works above the surface (or at least that's the closest way of expressing it)... every time I dive solo, I go through the dive plan and the contingency options. If there is anything that is potentially going to involve the need for a decision, then I'll change the plan.

Most of solo dives are very, very conservative as a result.

I am envisioning a team pre-dive briefing with a schizophrenic..........."......primary reg? check? What? I said check"............:)

Why would you use a 7' hose solo diving? Also, does a manifolded set of doubles and a bungied necklace satisfy your requirements for a redundant gas supply or do you carry a pony bottle or something like that? What about the various gear a DIR team will distribute amongst themselves for redundancy, such as reels, back up masks, SMB's etc. Do you carry all of this equipment yourself?

Picking up on these questions:

1. I use my 7' when soilo diving because I am too lazy to change it. It offers the minor advantage of being a bit more streamlined than a 36" hose sticking out in a big loop, but doesn't have any real disadvantages. Solo diving also doesn't normally mean selfish - if I came across someone underwater who needed gas, I would give them it. All of my gas planning on a solo dive is still based on MGRs needed to bring two divers up from that depth.

2. Manifolded twins....... eeeek. Yes, it is a redundant gas supply. Are they suitable for solo diving? It depends. I am happy to solo dive in my twins if it's shallow, conservative plan and in the event that I have a manifold problem I can't resolve that I would be able to swim to the surface. Problem resolution is a lot easier if you can see the offending item of kit - for any remotely serious solo undertaking, I would switch to sidemount... you can see the first stages, you can work out what is goin wrong and determine whether it's fixable. A single tank and a slung pony is a reasonable solution - provided that you calculate all our gas reserves for your back gas, and the pony is suitably sized to provide your contingency.... and you practice the skills. Tank mounted pony bottles cause as many problems as they solve.

3. Redundant gear - this is where scaling the team concept gives you an idea of what you should have. If I'm looking at a solo dive and I think I need to carry too much cr@p, then I change the dive. The most I will every carry on a solo dive would be - appropriate redundant gas supply, spare mask, second SMB, second cutting tool and a depth timer. If I think I should be carrying more than that, the dive is too aggressive for my tastes as a solo dive.... and in fact, I probably hit that threshold before I even start carrying this amount of stuff. The second mask and cutting tool fit neatly into the right drysuit pocket, second SMB tucks up the back of my plate with second spool in the right pocket. Primary SMB is pre-assembled in the left pocket. Depth timer is on the wrist, and in fact is my primary source of dive information... my computer (VR3) is my backup. I've also got a set of Buhlmann tables in my wet notes.

No need to request that I lighten up, I don't mean to sound anything but. I am not a member of the scuba police and I am genuinely interested in the perspective of others. I didn't think I was being that heavy handed, however I guess I just thought it was more than even mildly ironic that you are using a paper by the founder of GUE to emphasize the importance of the mental aspect of diving and stretching that to cover the mental aspect of solo diving.....

I don't think this is "some kind of blasphemy of DIR" as we both know that none of the various components that go into making up "DIR" belong to any agency or any one person. Pick and choose how you like. But gear alone does not make a diver any more DIR than the next. I would argue that the most fundamental difference does go to mindset and this takes us back to the beginning of your other post. Adding some white paint to a crow does not change it into a magpie.

I see no need to change configurations for solo. I dive a long hose and bungee because it is what I am used to and am most comfortable with. When solo I do indeed dive manifolded doubles and usually carry a stage as well. Either a 30 or a 40 cu ft bottle. I will practice deployment of it as well as valve drills. Every dive for me, even those for pleasure, I consider a skills dive. I find it relaxing and even calming to work on buoyancy, trim and propulsion. I will shoot a bag at the end of a dive just to do it.

As goes redundant gear I carry at least two of everything I may need and do not take anything I do not feel will aid me or be of use in the dive. That means 2 cutting tools, two backup lights in addition to the primary. I love to solo at night when I get the chance. 2 reels clipped primary or safety and a jump reel and a safety spool in my pocket. Everything is in the same place every dive. I am certed to 150 feet and am comfortable to 160 for now.

I mention this because I will do most any dive solo that I'd do with a buddy. I am that confident in my equipment and my skills and training. I have been alone at 120 feet in 39 degree water on a wreck in Lake Erie. I respect the environment I'm in and do everything I can to prepare for it. Our usual lake we use for training has a max depth of 130 feet and I often do deep dives and incur deco if I am in a really good place. I feel at peace when it's dark and I know it's highly unlikely I will encounter another diver in the spots I like to go.

Mentally I have assessed the risks, looked at the consequences of what could happen should things go wrong, and weighed that against the benefits I derive from diving alone. As a result I take every opportunity to get away from having to worry about another person, to dive the plan as I choose, to stop when and where I want to. Most of all I can focus on things that may be going on topside, think them through, and get many resolutions with out the distractions of the surface.

It's here also that skills practice takes on a whole new seriousness and concentration because no one is going to help me but me. I find I think things through with more attention to detail and it shows when teaching. Those little things that used nag at the back of my mind as far as "is this skill I am showing them as clear as it can be?". After doing it solo at 100+ feet over and over the answer is yes. It's is being demo'd as clear as I can make it.

You note that you don;t know may solo divers. I'd be willing to bet that you actually know more than you think. Many don;t talk about it because of the stigma that is attached to it. That stigma comes from, in my opinion, the dumbing down of training and the lack of self reliance that is pushed on new divers. I make it clear to my OW studints that they are responsible for their safety. Not a DM, not their buddy, they are. As such task loading is a big part of my classes. I stress the importance of thinking problems through and solving them on their own with assistance from their buddy as a last resort. Air sharing and low on air problems are different but still require the diver to not panic, but assess the problem and take appropriate action. I have OW students do air share ascents, no mask swims, remove gear and do a no mask swim and then retrieve their gear. All of this is to foster a sense of independence. Divers who rely on others to the point that they cannot get out of a problem themselves are people I do not want to dive with.

MY solo diving is for me. It is selfish and all about my needs and wants. By doing this I release alot of stress and feel freedom. Same way as when I ride my motorcycle. I wear a helmet when it's too cold for my black baseball hat with the shark on it. I know the risks. As such my riding skills need to be just that much better to avoid accidents. I am more aware, much more cautious, and always work on risk avoiding practices. I hope I;ve given you some insight into my solo mindset. I think some of the things I have in common with others. But again this is a personal thing and everyone is different. And maybe it's that difference that makes things interesting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom