Who is responsible for what?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I recently bailed on a dive because I felt we did not get off to the right start. I lost my instabuddy at the start of the dive and I bailed. I felt like a total ass but after reading this I feel like I did the right thing. All worked out fine but I didn't feel comfortable and bailed. I'm not a new diver but it just didn't feel right. If I lose my buddy at the beginning what further potential is there for trouble? I bailed. I probably looked like an ass to all who saw me climb back on the boat. ps - I'm here to discuss it.

Looking like an ass is a whole lot better than looking dead. Or being looked at thru the window of a hyperbaric chamber. If you lose your buddy at the beginning of a dive and feel completely comfortable in your abilities, skills, knowledge, and equipment then the dive can be continued if you are also ok with the fact that if something happens and you cannot get yourself out of trouble that you may very well die alone. If you are not ok with this then yes the dive is over. Why not start a new thread and ask these questions? You may get more detailed answers. Your question may get lost under this thread.

I did not know what questions to ask the LDS about training, I was not a member (or knew about) ScubaBoard before I learned to dive.
I was just lucky in the instructor that I got for my training (and all subsequent training) had a good reputation for building good divers , and was one that stressed safety above all else ... even if that meant scheduling more time with a student doing more pool work at no extra charge, or telling the shop that he will be adding another pool session to his classes, or just making sure that you were comfortable while doing the skills ... He said because a well trained diver is not as likely to have an incident underwater, then get "scared" (or injured) and leave the sport ... he will be safe diver, to himself and to someone else, and will stay in the sport and be a good steward for our oceans.
... Anyone, anytime, can thumb a dive was taught to us.
I think it also means listening to that "inner voice" that may be trying to tell you something

Jim .. Your post, and Walters How To Find A Good Instructor, are some of the most important posts on scubaboard

I recently bailed on a dive because I felt we did not get off to the right start. I lost my instabuddy at the start of the dive and I bailed. I felt like a total ass but after reading this I feel like I did the right thing. All worked out fine but I didn't feel comfortable and bailed. I'm not a new diver but it just didn't feel right. If I lose my buddy at the beginning what further potential is there for trouble? I bailed. I probably looked like an ass to all who saw me climb back on the boat. ps - I'm here to discuss it.

Better safe then sorry. This is very important to learn and remember: Never feel bad about ending / not doing a dive if you don't feel it's right!!! I stress this to anybody I dive with, specially to new divers / students.
I've aborted few dives during my diving years and never felt bad about it. It's my life, and I do what I feel is right for me.

There is a 'golden rule' in tech diving, that is equally applicable to recreational diving.

Any Diver Can Abort Any Dive At Any Time.

You undeniably did the right thing... not because it was the right or wrong option, or because of which alternatives were available... but because it was what you felt most secure doing.

There is a 'golden rule' in tech diving, that is equally applicable to recreational diving.

Any Diver Can Abort Any Dive At Any Time.

You undeniably did the right thing... not because it was the right or wrong option, or because of which alternatives were available... but because it was what you felt most secure doing.

NOT a "tech" diver, but this should be an accepted rule in
any
dive situation or community.

Your instinct for your own survival is your best friend. Always listen to your instincts, and never let anyone else push you into a stuation your gut tells you is wrong.

"Foolish", you can learn from. Dead, you only help others learn!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom