ID this shark please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

isurus

Contributor
Reaction score
Obviously the pictures that follow are not diving pictures (sadly). This fish was caught in the Virgin Islands earlier this week and we really would like to know what it is. For that reason I hope people will forgive pictures of a fish literally out of water. Unfortunately it was night and my camera was fogged so these aren't great pictures either. Its about 3 foot long and neither bull, lemon or blacktip (the species typically encountered here). I've been poring through my shark guide and nothing else seems to fit. Points not shown on the photos are the disproportionately small mouth and the long nostril grove thingies. My suspects thus far are a very young c. perezii (it seems far too delicate for that), a finetooth shark (C. isodon), a blacknose shark with no black nose (C. acronotus) or a caribbean sharpnose (Rhizoprionodon porosus). Unfortunately I'm not familiar with any of these (other than perezii (which I've not seen anywhere near this small) so I'd welcome any thoughts.

3911389256_14e1e8566f.jpg

3911389764_fbe615ef66.jpg

3911389450_2065ca89b3.jpg

3911389596_f913467c98.jpg

I think you may have a sharpnose there. Can't tell if there are spots there or if its just sand on the dorsal side. A ventral pic of the head would be nice. Caribbean sharks aren't my strong point but its just a guess.

Thanks - forgot the ventral head pic - was trying to get as many angles as possible for identification quickly so we could get it back in the water. The mouth was a lot smaller than you'd see on much smaller blacktip pups and the nostrils (or whatever the shark equivalent is) had unusually long grooves but thats all I can remember about the underside of the head I'm afraid.

It looks to be a young Galapagos Shark. They are known to be in tropical and clear waters.

carcharhinus_galapagensis.jpg

So sad to see it on the beach.

Carolyn:shark2:

carolyn - I don't think this can be galapagensis; the pectorals are quite small on our shark compared to a typical one and it lacks the flank markings typical to the species (although I note the shark in your image does too).

Could just be a caribbean reef shark

I am still sticking with the Galapegos Shark. The dorsal, pectoral, and tail fin look to be the same. You do need to take in to account the age of the shark. For the size you state, it was definitely quite young.

shark.jpg

I am still sticking with the Galapegos Shark. The dorsal, pectoral, and tail fin look to be the same. You do need to take in to account the age of the shark. For the size you state, it was definitely quite young.

shark.jpg

I'm guessing its a Carcharhinus Mortuus.

Back
Top Bottom