Motorcycle or SCUBA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It depends on how you ride.

I see you live in the south east. The mountains of Virginia, and the Carolinas are great places to ride.

Ever been to Deals Gap?

My wife prefers that I dive. I have no idea why???:wink:

g19.jpg

To put things into prospective, as a hobby goes.
On a diving weekend, you are doing a max of 6 dives on regular air. Total bottom time let say about 3 hours. You spend most of the dive trip on the dive boat or shore for your surface interval.

Riding weekend you can be on the bike for 20+ hours and traveling over 1000 miles. With motorcycling you send more time actually doing the hobby.

So it comes down to what ever floats your boat. With me, I like scuba, but motorcycling is my passion. To say one is safer then the other really does not matter, yes motorcycles have a higher risk. But that is part of the sport. It is like comparing scuba and golf. Golf is way safer then scuba. So what, it comes down to personal passion.

It depends on how you ride.

I see you live in the south east. The mountains of Virginia, and the Carolinas are great places to ride.

Ever been to Deals Gap?

My wife prefers that I dive. I have no idea why???:wink:

g19.jpg

Nice R1, I would get rid of the stock blinkers and get led integrated ones that fits right in the stock slot. It cleans up the whole front end.:wink:

Been to Deals Gap, it not bad. But you can not carry as much speed as you like for safety concerns as oppose to paying 20 euros a lap at neurburgring where you have no on coming traffic in Germany. Both sites gets a bit overcrowd on a nice weekend.

You'll never catch me on a motorcycle.

Hmmm... You must be riding really fast huh? :rofl3:

Well you'll never catch me 140ft under the ocean's surface too. But I still dive...
Same kind of thing I guess.
You can do anything without going too extreme and still take enough precautions to minimize the risk.

Instead of risk look at the practicality...

I am one of those guys enjoying the both activity.

Which one I enjoy more? Motorcycle of course and it is not because the risk factor.

Will I be enjoying scuba more than motorcycle if it becomes available to me as soon as I step into my garage like when I go for biking... You betcha...

Get all your gear together, put in a car, drive to a harbor, park your vehicle, drag your gearbag to a boat or ferry, buy tickets/pay fees, rent a tank/ pay airfill, go to diving destination and then dive for 30 minutes or so maybe twice or so. Then repeat the most of the process and return home.

OR;

Walk into your garage, start your motorcycle, open the garage door and roll outside to enjoy the freedom of riding.

I don't have any dead friends who used to scuba.

But I have two dead friends who died on motorcycles when they were hit by a car.

I'll stick to cave diving, thank you, at least I have control over the situation. My life doesn't depend on whether or not old Auntie Sally happens to see me that day. I gave up road bicycles for that reason, too.

There's a reason the medical community calls motorcylces "Donor Bikes."

You have your opinion, and other have theirs. We seem to respect yours, accept others have opinions that are not yours. And I knew someone who wreak dived and got lost and died. But I have no negative opinion for those that enjoy it.

Bikes and scuba.. i do both love it

I don't have any dead friends who used to scuba.

But I have two dead friends who died on motorcycles when they were hit by a car.

I'll stick to cave diving, thank you, at least I have control over the situation. My life doesn't depend on whether or not old Auntie Sally happens to see me that day. I gave up road bicycles for that reason, too.

There's a reason the medical community calls motorcylces "Donor Bikes."

You mean SOME in the medical community call them like that.

I'm also aware of SOME in the firefighting community that call buildings taller than 4 floors with closed hallways "Death traps"
Just because a group of people labels things someway means very little.

None of your friends died diving but 2 died in bikes. Well, the older you get you'll have friends that died doing other stuff too, some won't even do anything in order to die. It happens to everyone, people die.

Considering the fact that if we use the wrong clip or D ring while diving, we're doomed, I don't worry about the way I'll die, I'm limiting my thoughts to the living portion.

Some people think diving is ridiculously dangerous and anyone that dives should be locked down, even worse, way waaaaaaay worse if we are talking cave diving, OMG cave diving is like the ultimate of dangerous stuff for some people. I guess they can be compared with some on the medical field.
But for you cave diving is not dangerous for whatever reasons you have.

The OP questioned the safety of each activity. Considering these 2 activities I wonder how could safety be the determining factor. Once you get hooked (on either one or both) there is not getting out. You can manipulate the risk to a level you can accept but that's about it.

Back
Top Bottom