Nitrox Storage Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zoomer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
For all you Nitrox Divers out there, what would you do?

I have two tanks of 32% that have been sitting a while (about 6 months), I had them filled and never used them, now the VIP's are due on the tanks.

Should I just take them in and have the VIP done and refill? or is it OK to dive the tanks then take them in for the VIP?

I wouldn't even think twice about this if this was straight 21% so I guess I am asking if I should treat this any different because of the higher concentration of O2?

Thanks

Should be fine. If air would be good in them then 32% is good. Remember your only increasing the amount of O2 in the mix. Not making anything special.

That was my initial thought as well "should be fine", but then I started thinking "yeah scary huh?" about the additional corrosive potential with the higher O2 percentage....

That is why I figured I'd ask

6 months is not a long period of time... it's no problem. Use the tanks, then VIP them.

If you're concerned... analyze the gas first.

That depends on the tanks. If they are AL go use it. If they are steel, don't. 6 months is a long time (anything past 3 months is).

They are AL80's... after looking at my dive logs and the vips on the tanks it's been more like 9 months (can't believe it's been that long since I dove nitrox)....

Thanks for all the replies...

That depends on the tanks. If they are AL go use it. If they are steel, don't. 6 months is a long time (anything past 3 months is).

Could you explain why? If the tanks were properly cleaned for O2 then filled with any mix they should be fine. What do you base your statement on. I have a couple 72's that get used very infrequently and after I get them down to 1500 or so doing regs on my bench I'll use them for 1 dive before refilling. That may take 6 months and there's never been a problem. I had one that I finally used after sitting for 9 months and it was good.

Back
Top Bottom