Tank Assembly/Lube

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divetrue

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

I just received 30 tanks with separate valves and need to assemble them for storage. I received some Christo-Lube MCG 129 with them but it is expired.

My question is it ok to setup the tanks without or with the expired lube so that we can partially pressurize the tanks for storage. We wanted to pressurize them with about 5 bar.

Some extra information:
I work on a ship and do not have access to a certified VIP inspector at this time.
I was planning on pressurizing them with about 5 bar for storage so moisture and debris cant get inside.
The tanks will be VIP inspected before diving which will only be next year.
they will not be used with enriched air.

Any helpful feedback would be greatly appreciated!

no lube required. put the valve on and store with a little pressure, it will be fine.

If you have good control over how the cylinders are stored, you can also just store them the way come from the factory, with the plastic/rubber protection caps. The cylinders do not magically attract water or debris and if dust can pass by the little protection caps, it is of no consequence to usage whatsoever.

There should be no issue using the expired Christolube, but looking at the situation you are faced I'd say just screw the valves onto the cylinders and be done with it.

Look at it this way:
  • Plastic/rubber caps -> Good enough for pretty much most storage situations.
  • Are you worried about that the cylinders may attract moisture by rapidly cooling compared to the environment, or are they stored outside, exposed to the environment? -> Put the valves on and close them.
  • Are you worried some random Joe passes by and opens the valves in the above scenario? -> Pressurize them.
At 5 bar and if you are sure they won't be pressurized to working pressure, don't bother using lubricant on the O-Ring.

Thanks for the replies!

Ill get them assembled without the lube and pressurize them to 5 bar ish.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom