Large amount of rust in 2nd hand steel tanks and can rust be transfered via DIY 6 way manifold? + improving MCH 6 for long fills

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How about L and W?
My experience with LW is on their full size machines and they are up there with Bauer for quality. They aren't popular in the US. I don't know if they make a small cheap machine.

Well that blanket condemnation, "entire", pretty much covers it! No use in asking for an elaboration and details. Just too bad for those using the MCH-6...:cool:
It's a 4 stage compressor running very fast. The 4th stage is at the bottom so susceptible to debris and water in the oil. The oil (which should help cool and lubricate) until recently was about 300ml, which is not a lot. The water separation is after the 4th stage, and then the gas passes straight to a relatively small filter (sometimes good for less than 5 hours) which could be overwhelmed quite easily is you forget to drain. There is no PMV (Back Pressure Valve) as standard, and on some not even a on off valve on the fill whip.

There is anew model with material and design improvements including double the oil in the sump which should help, but the filter and separator remain the same.

Knowing all that. Use is sparingly (less than 1 hour at a time) change the oil very regularly, and keep a close eye on it when filling. Its not too bad for home use, but not as good as other offerings. I have one I use at home as I don't have 3 phase for my larger bauer.

My 2 cents.

That's a butt load of rust. Steel tanks are thin-walled.

If that much rust came from the cylinders, then I doubt that the pitting would pass visual inspection. If the interiors of the cylinders are okay, then the rust has to be coming from somewhere else.

It's a 4 stage compressor running very fast. The 4th stage is at the bottom so susceptible to debris and water in the oil. The oil (which should help cool and lubricate) until recently was about 300ml, which is not a lot. The water separation is after the 4th stage, and then the gas passes straight to a relatively small filter (sometimes good for less than 5 hours) which could be overwhelmed quite easily is you forget to drain. There is no PMV (Back Pressure Valve) as standard, and on some not even a on off valve on the fill whip.

There is anew model with material and design improvements including double the oil in the sump which should help, but the filter and separator remain the same.

Knowing all that. Use is sparingly (less than 1 hour at a time) change the oil very regularly, and keep a close eye on it when filling. Its not too bad for home use, but not as good as other offerings. I have one I use at home as I don't have 3 phase for my larger bauer.
Good review and specific information...thanks...wonder in the "improved" model is still the MCH-6 Icon?

Thanks...

Not trying to get in anyone's space...but can you give specifics why this is a poor choice of a compressor to purchase?

"cheap" , "cheapest" and "functional but cheap" really does not speak to why "it isn't a good compressor".

Again, not disputing your opinion, but I deal in facts and details so would appreciate why this is not a good compressor. What specifically are the short comings of the MCH-6? Anybody?

Thanks...
they could double MCH6 the oil sump capacity
then double MCH6 the filter capacity

and both with STILL be undersized and marginal

they could double MCH6 the oil sump capacity
then double MCH6 the filter capacity

and both with STILL be undersized and marginal
Yep, I've put a maxifilter on the wall for mine and just repack the onbaord one with mol sieve. And only run it short. If I ever get around to putting a single phase motor on my Bauer for home use, , it'll just end up with a petrol engine for travelling

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom