Basic regulator package with 2 high pressure ports - what to buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

djc1001

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My girlfriend and I are about to invest in regulators as we progress our diving. We're happy to buy second hand if that makes sense and are after a reliable set up that is easy to service.

We would like 2 high pressure ports so that we can run wireless integrated air into our computer and keep a regular SPG as back up (is that necessary?)

Any advice on what to buy and how to buy really appreciated. We live in Hong Kong, so any local advice also really welcome!!

Thanks in advance!

Legend LX is a great reg. I don't run an SPG as backup but I do run 2 computers for backup. One is a cobra 2 hose integrated and the other is the vyper air with AI.

This question keeps getting asked every couple of weeks. If you are sure you'll continue diving I recommend an upper end regulator of one of the major makes.

The reason is the reg will outlive all the other dive gear, and easily last over 10 years. After a few years you'll wish you had bought a better regulator and the extra couple of hundred dollars over 10 years makes little difference.

Just get the best of Oceanic, Apeks, Aqualung, Zeagle, Sherwood, Scubapro and you won't go wrong.

Adam

DJC1001,

Tell us what sort of diving you will be doing and in what conditions.
Deep/shallow
Cold or Ice/Warm

Will you be servicing it yourself or take it in to a shop?
What does your local dive shop service?
Will you be doing a lot of traveling?

What sort of budget?
How important is a warranty?

Couv

Additional complexity, failure points, and points of entanglement for the sake of redundancy makes no sense. Likewise AI is a solution to a problem that does not exist.

An AI computer provides a minute timer based on tank pressure and bottom time. This number fluctuates based on your dive profile - A deep profile, the timer will be influenced by no decompression limits and a shallow profile, by tank pressure.

Looking at two numbers - NDL time on your computer and SPG on your tank is just as easy and will save yourself a bucket of money and a whole bunch of possible issues.

An AI computer can fail and when they do, they can fail in any number of modes - Pressure High/Static/Low. When it fails, you may or may not realize if you are chasing a single number and not specifically monitoring changes in tank pressure over the duration of your dive.

Any failure is a reason to abort a dive.

I was an AI fan but no longer - Use your money to purchase a Nitrox capable non AI computer and a metal SPG.

Personally I now use a DeltaP VR3 Computer and OMS SPG.

DJC1001,

Tell us what sort of diving you will be doing and in what conditions.
Deep/shallow
Cold or Ice/Warm

Will you be servicing it yourself or take it in to a shop?
What does your local dive shop service?
Will you be doing a lot of traveling?

What sort of budget?
How important is a warranty?

Couv

Hi there

Mostly tropical diving at depths to 40m. Occasionally we may do colder dives but it will be rare.

Servicing will be done by a shop in HK - we can get the major brands serviced here.

We always travel to dive.

Budget is flexible - we'd rather make the right decisions and not waste money.

I'll take advice on warranty - I have read that failure points are also points that get changed in servicing. However, I've also read that buying 2 sets new and negotiating a discount from a shop and getting a warranty is a good safe option.

Hope that helps a bit. Also - any pointers on the AI computer - I'm a big fan of info on my wrist and feel OK if I have an spg back up. What's your view?

Thanks
Dan

Hi there

Mostly tropical diving at depths to 40m. Occasionally we may do colder dives but it will be rare.

Servicing will be done by a shop in HK - we can get the major brands serviced here.

We always travel to dive.

Budget is flexible - we'd rather make the right decisions and not waste money.

I'll take advice on warranty - I have read that failure points are also points that get changed in servicing. However, I've also read that buying 2 sets new and negotiating a discount from a shop and getting a warranty is a good safe option.

Hope that helps a bit. Also - any pointers on the AI computer - I'm a big fan of info on my wrist and feel OK if I have an spg back up. What's your view?

Thanks
Dan

If having an AI is within your budget and you want one-get it. But personally, I already have a SPG I don't see the need for it.

Regulator Warranty : The so called free parts is just a gimmick to get you to bring your regulator in for a service annually or in some cases bi-annually to lighten your wallet. If you are determined to keep the manufacturers' useless and expensive warranty intact, you must follow the manufactures suggested service interval. However, whether or not you want to keep the useless and expensive warranty intact, learning to check your equipment is very important and will help YOU determine if your equipment needs servicing. See this link for a set of checks everyone is capable of, and should be doing:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/regulators/260452-regulator-checklist-inspection.html

See this thread for my regulator recommendations: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/4757149-post4.html

Good luck,

Couv

Last edited:
Dan,

Do you really need wireless? You're trusting electronics over tried and tested mechanics man :) Plus you're buying something with two HP ports for redundancy, thats fine, but you're increasing failure points buy having more coming out of your first stage. Wireless really is a lot of money for not much advantage... If you just use a wrist computer and an SPG like the rest of us peons, you can't go wrong. SPG's very rarely stick/fail unless they're old and corroded or have taken on water.

Save your cash and get a good set of regs like the Apeks XTX50, top end regs at a good price.

Hope this helps!

-- Nemo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom