Dealing with a free flowing stage 2 reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can't stop a true free flow by shaking the reg.

There is no need to switch to your octo, this is not a good idea. You will just be putting more demand on your 1st stage.

Just tilt your head to the side so the bubbles are not in your face. Then you can take the mouth piece out a little or use your tongue to deflect the air off your teeth. Your mouth is going to get cold fast from all the air.

If the free flow was caused by ice you can share air with your buddy and shut you tank off for a few minutes and try turning the tank back on. However the added demand on your buddies first stage could start to freeze it.

In water colder than 15°C a second 1st stage can become your life insurance.
I dive the whole year with two 1st stages. One for my primary and BCD inflation and one for my Octopus and dry suit inflation.
In case of a free flow you change to your octopus, show your buddy the free flow reg. He goes with his hand along the tube to be sure to close the right valve.
Buddy check includes to control if your Buddy is familiar with this procedure.
The SPG has to be connected to the backup 1st stage so you still have a pressure reading when your primary valve is closed.

If you have a free flow, get your reg serviced and also get an alternate. in this day and age its stupid to dive without an alternate as they do not cost much and can and do save lives!
If you were trained correctly you should know how to breath from a free flowing reg!

my
step one: remove from mouth
step two: give it a few good whacks on the palm of your hand and shake it. if it works now great, if not...
step three: place reg back in mouth only biting 1/2 of mouth piece to allow excess air to escape.
step four: stay calm and ascend slowly! even with 500psi in the tank there is still plenty of air to ascend.

First thing I would do is deploy my spare air and ascend to safety stop. On my safety stop I would try to fix the problem by shaking it etc. Even if the problem were fixed, I would surface, end my diving and send my reg. in for service. I still practice all my drills in a pool and this includes breathing from a free flow...but if a problem like this arises at depth, first thing I'm gonna do is reach for the spare air and surface.

I don't get it. Why is everybody insisting on an immediate ascent? Why not signal OOA to your buddy then ascend while buddy breathing with you buddy? I mean, that IS why they are there after all!

Last edited:
I've never had such a violent freeflow.

most people / most instructors probably haven't

From what I've *read* on the internet, a freeflow of the intensity you're trained to deal with is rare but extreme. From the few cases I know of, it was severe enough to blow the regulator right out of the mouth of the diver.

Egro, this is the reason you're taught to hold 1/2 of it in your mouth. Because the discharge of air is so extreme that holding the whole thing in your mouth is a non-starter.

As for what you do after that, it's your choice. My preference would be to give my buddy the OOA sign and secure a regulator that I was sure was working.....If you're close to the surface, then surfacing may be an option.

The point being here...think flexibly and solve your problem, even if it presents in a way that your instructor didn't describe.

R..

Its easy to free flow a reg. Just go dive in 40 degree water or colder. Then breath like a freight train. Give it about 5-10 minutes, and free flow. Having a free flow at 100 feet can be an eye opener for newer divers.

I don't get it. Why is everybody insisting on an immediate ascent? Why not signal OOA to your buddy then ascend while buddy breathing with you buddy? I mean, that IS why they are there after all!

Well the ascend is suggested keeping in mind the following prerequisites: you are not diving redundant system and thus cannot switch to your alternative and shutdown the primary to let it warm up and check if it free flows again, otherwise this question would not come up as usually those who dive that setup would know the answer. Si if you are diving warm water and the reg flowed due to malfunction or any other non freezing related issue you can switch to your buddy octo. If it's cold water related switching to your buddy octo will elevate the chance of his setup free flowing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom