Best way to study fish identifcation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chachee99

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I want to begin studying aquatic taxonomy and fish identification. I want to do this so I can identify and attemp to different aquatic life in the ocean. Not only and I interested in learning the comon names, but I would like to know the species, genius and family of different aquatic life in the ocean. However, I live in South Korea and there is no books about Korean marine life. So, I have to start from scratch.

Do you have any suggestions on how to begin studying marine life? My knowledge data base is extremely limited. I am basically a newbie at fish identification regarding recognizing different species. Are there any websites or books you would recogmend for beginners?

I have an underwater camera with a few hundred pictures of different marine life. I can use those as study material for practice. I have also thought about posting a few pics in the "name that fish" board. Bear in mind that many will be blatenly obvious to most divers.

If you have some advice, please post a comment.

Thanks,

Chachee99

I would imagine a book on Japanese sea life would be useful, as you are fairly close-by. The best thing is to learn the families of fish, since, for the most part, the species within a family have the same general shape and style of living (yes, there are exceptions).

Maybe contact this person?:
from Reef Check Micronesia,

Chuuk
Dr. Heung-Sik Park
Director
Korea-South Pacific Ocean Research Center
Weno, Chuuk State
F.S.M.
E-mail: hspark@kordi.re.kr

Back
Top Bottom