Semi-dry suits advantages

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chachee99

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I know the difference between semidry, dry, and wet suits. However, what are some of the advantages of using a semi-dry suit such as comfort, fit, warmth, durability, maintenance, repair, etc?

Also, how warm will a 5mm semi dry keep a diver in 12C(50F) water?

I did a dive in a 5mm farmer john and absolutely froze.

A semi dry is really just a wetsuit with a better ad campaign. If you absolutely froze in a wetsuit, a semi dry in the same conditions will allow you to only kind of freeze. Get a real drysuit if you want to stay warm,

1. You figure anyone who dives in cold water must be crazy to spend that much money on a dry suit.

2. After you rent, borrow, or better yet, buy a dry suit for cold water diving, you figure out that they not crazy after all.

I'm constantly amazed how many people bash "semi-dry" wetsuits.....yes, we all know they are a wetsuit and will not keep you dry....but believe it or not they are beneficial!

and on that note, how many people who bash them have actually dove in one? not trying to start a controversy, but seriously, the guy asked for advantages, not disadvantages.....

on to your question....

in 50F you will get cold in anything but a drysuit, but if the water is warmer than 60F you'd be ok with a semi-dry suit. I've dove one for a few years now (Mares) and it has held up exceptionally well. Seals are worn, but they still function as new. Zipper still looks new, etc. As far as comfort.....my suit is very comfortable. It's rare I get cold in my suit in 60-70 degree waters...when I am moving...deco stops are another story......

If you don't have to $$ for a drysuit go ahead and give a semi-dry a try. It's a great wetsuit and can be had for a reasonable price if you shop around.

I have nearly 100 dives in 50ish (44 - 53F) water in a 7mm custom semi-dry Farmer John. Sometimes I get cold, but I've never called a dive due to temperture issues. The great value of a semidry is in minimizing water flow. That said, I'm ordering a drysuit soon. (Spending some of my inheritance.).

No way I'd dive in this with a 5 mil.

I guess I am a bit of an odd ball because I like to dive wet most of the time EXCEPT IN WINTER or when in really water colder than 60 degrees or so at the surface.

My reason for liking to dive wet or semi-wet is the air temperature mostly. I live in the desert and the local temperatures for over 8 months of the year are in the 90-115 degree range. Wearing a drysuit is not an option if you don't want heatstroke. All dives are shore entry on loose sand and rocks so durability is also a concern as is flexibility. Jumping into the water or standing in waist deep water to cool off is very nice when it is warm outside but the water is still on the cold side. I use a few different wetsuits depending on the water and surface temperatures and where I am diving including: 3mm shorty, 3/2 full and a new Waterproof Aeris 7mm semi-dry. It is a great suit and it has all the bells and whistles a good semi-dry suit should have. I also have a drysuit for the Winter and for cold water and cold surface temp. dives.

The advantages of a semi-dry over a wet suit (yes I know they are both wet suits) is usually the additional seals in the arms, legs and back to keep water flow within the suit to a minimum. No wet suit will be free from water entry. Only a dry suit will do that. All wetsuits require water next to the skin to help keep you warm. Eventually this water will move and flow within the suit and outside colder water will move into the suit requiring you body to warm it up. After a while the process makes you cold. The more water flowing through the suit the colder you stay and the faster you get that way. A semi-dry is designed to restrict the movement of water through the suit but not prevent it. Some designs work better than others.

I considered a Pinnacle Kodiak prior to the Waterproof but could not get it on my arms without zippers. Your mileage may vary. Wrist and ankle seals along with a very good zipper and neck seals make the difference in any suit. It they are leaky you will get cold quicker and stay that way. Not much fun. I looked a some high stretch suits and was unimpressed with the lack of seals but a lot has to do with how you are put together. I have large hands and feet with big wrists and ankles so I need to be able to get over them and still have a good seal. Zippers were my answer short of a super stretch suit which I did not like due to the lack of specific sealing surfaces other than the suit itself.

Dry is best in cold water and cold surface temps. Wet or semi-dry are options that may or may not work for a person depending on many factors. Like I said, I dive wet and dry depending on the conditions.

I have to agree with SteveR,

I dive dry and with a "semi-dry" suit and my choice mostly depends on the ambient temerature.

Down here in my neck of the woods ambient temperatures in summer are usually around 30-45 degrees C (80-110ish). With long Jetty walks and / or shore walks, one positively roasts and dehydrates very quickly in a dry suit, plus it's nice to have the feel of water over you on a hot day.

But in the case of low ambients with 12 degree water I would probably recommend you go dry - it's worth the money - you'll enjoy your dives more and be more relaxed if you aren't worrying about silly things like being cold.

I use both,
I live in Italy and the water temperature is from below 50F (10C) to above 78F (26C)

IMHO
wet-suit
>when it's possible i like to wear the suit in the water so is simple impossible with dry (I suffer a lot sun rays when I'm dry)
>it doesn't require any additional skill or any apparatus from the first stage
>now (water at about 60F) I use a 1mm neoprene short under suit to stop outwater wind and outwater cold
>afther one hour it's easy to start to be chilly.

dry
> defenetly warmer and more confortable outside the water(you take it off and can enter in your bed in the boat...)
> I don't like integrated boots (some dries hasn't but mine is like this)
> there are models with very, very different features (neoprene, trilaminate, high compressed neoprene)

Last edited:
I'm relatively new, but I have about ten dives in an Aqualung SolAfx semi-dry. Only been in Monterey, where temps have been between 49-50 F, and it has been sufficient, as long as I wear the gloves (anyone else notice their hands looking like you're under a blacklight at depth?????). After the second or third dive, I might feel a little chilly, but I'm looking into a 1mm skin to make that go away.

I'm aware of the advantages of wearing a dry suit, but as many others say, suit+training=no college fund/beer money for a decade/air. It might be the difference between wearing a parka vs a denim jacket, but I like to wear a warm sweater under that jacket. Function AND fashion!

I did my first 50 some odd dives in a Poseidon Semi Dry Wetsuit . Water temps between 41-48 degrees . It was great for single dives , repetitive dives not so great .
I was never cold in my early days due to something called "adrenaline rush" .

Yes I have dove dry the past 15 years and get chilled in my drysuit now . I just purchased some fourth element undergarments to compensate for lack of adreniline and a little old age.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom