Semi dry recommendations for 20C+ diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have just purchased a Cressi Ice semi-dry 7mm, this will be my third Cressi semi-dry in 25 years. I find them very comfortable for dives in water temperatures 16C plus.

Apologies for digressing, but I seek advice on managing a semi-dry with hood.

I recently received an Apeks 8/7 Thermiq suit, and it fits well except for the hood. It feels excessively tight around the neck, distorting my face, and potentially leading to mask leaks due to wrinkles. While I anticipate it might improve once I'm in the water, unfortunately, I won't be able to test it until I'm in Cabo at the end of February.

Moreover, I'm experiencing some constraint around the neck (although I'm accustomed to the Scubapro Everflex zipper), and I expect it might improve over time. Regrettably, I couldn't seek advice from a dive shop as I have a mid-size suit that was only available for purchase online.

Do you have any recommendations for adjusting the hood? Should I consider enlarging the opening, albeit with the concern of interfering with the seams? Or would it be wiser to wait until I'm in the water to assess its performance rather than focusing on it currently?

As a backup plan, I intend to bring my 5mm suit with a jacket in case the hood doesn't work out. However, I'm worried it might be too cold for Socorro.

Any insights or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

My suggestions are:

Don't make any changes until you try it in the water.

Find a way to get in the water before your big trip. Surely you must have some way to at least get in a swimming pool?

Semidry is not really any dry unless it fits your body perfectly. Literally, perfectly. Usually none of the readily available wetsuits does.
I'd say get a good custom sized 3mm wetsuit (like JMJ or similar) with zippers etc for easier donning and doffing and add 3 or 5mm hooded vest for colder waters.
Two piece (or so called farmer john) setup is not as "dry" as you would want it to be. And has buoyancy/compression issues at depth

I've never understood the concept of a semidry. It's a wet suit with a better zipper, better sealing at the arms and legs, with an attached hood. How is it supposed to keep you warmer than a wetsuit? You aren't wearing insulating layers under it, or if you are, you can do the same in a wetsuit. Just because your torso is dryish, it doesn't make it any warmer. It will be warmer than an ill fitting suit due to the lack of water flushing, but that is true with all wet suits. And in order to get that good seal at depth, it's tight at the surface.

You want a good fitting, warm wetsuit that is easy to put on (and doesn't cost $1000-3000)? Get a skin-in or open cell free diving suit.
You want to be dry and wear insulation under your suit? Get a dry suit.

Semi drys are marketing gimmicks. It's just a thick wetsuit.

I think that is somewhat true and you can't be semi-dry in the same way that you can't be semi-pregnant. That said, there are suits around that have drysuit-style neoprene seals and dry zips. I've owned one and squeeze was an issue. I'd have to break the neck seal to let a little water in on descent.

These days, I'm a huge fan of open cell freediving/spearfishing wetsuits. Much warmer and more comfortable than traditional SCUBA wetsuits. For me, a 7mm version covers the 16 - 22 degree C range quite nicely, but no wetsuit is going to help you with cold and windy condition topside and if I was doing multi-day, repetitive diving, I'd want my drysuit.

I've never understood the concept of a semidry. It's a wet suit with a better zipper, better sealing at the arms and legs, with an attached hood. How is it supposed to keep you warmer than a wetsuit? You aren't wearing insulating layers under it, or if you are, you can do the same in a wetsuit. Just because your torso is dryish, it doesn't make it any warmer. It will be warmer than an ill fitting suit due to the lack of water flushing, but that is true with all wet suits. And in order to get that good seal at depth, it's tight at the surface.

You want a good fitting, warm wetsuit that is easy to put on (and doesn't cost $1000-3000)? Get a skin-in or open cell free diving suit.
You want to be dry and wear insulation under your suit? Get a dry suit.

Not all semi-dry suits have attached hoods. Just like most dry suits do not have attached hoods.

I have not owned a s-d, but my gut says it's not just a gimmick.

My current 5mm wetsuit has neoprene seals at the wrists and ankles, and an optional neoprene neck seal. It is pretty warm. I attribute some of that warmth to having minimal water flushing through the suit, because the wrist and ankle seals really do work.

I feel like if it had a real, attached neoprene neck seal and a waterproof zipper, then even less water would flush through it and it would be even warmer.

So, it makes sense to me that, if you take a normal 7mm wetsuit, and you give it drysuit-style neoprene seals (which are very comfortable, by the way) at all the openings, and a waterproof (i.e. drysuit) zipper, then it would be warmer than normal 7mm.

And isn't that the point? To be warmer than a normal wetsuit of the same thickness?

I use a SP semi-dry without an integrated hood. It has wrist and ankle seals that prevent water flushing. A proper fitting semi-dry just needs to be snug so you don't have any unwanted air pockets. I use a 7mm semi-dry down to 45deg F (7.3 deg C) without any issues. Most say a dry suit is required, I just politely disagree. I also recommend a lycra one piece suit underneath, not really for insulation (although it helps), but rather for ease of donning/doffing the suit. The reason semi-dry are one piece is to reduce flushing of water, yes you are wet, but not flushed with cold water. I don't believe I will ever go dry, hence the alias. I have several medical reasons why dry doesn't work for me as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom