Shears Vs Knife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great point. I am a sub-tropical warm water diver who prefers shears and this bad boy line-cutting replacment tool which is from a industrial/public safety/military supplier. Rips through kelvar, harnesses and anything else. Finger hole big enough for drysuit.

7 Details | Benchmade

This one looks awesome! Maybe I'll get one in my stocking this Christmas:eyebrow:

EMT shears are made of stainless steel and fine but the rivets seem to rust.

Has anyone used real medical quality shears made to be used in an operating room and sterilized dozens of time?

EMT shears are made of stainless steel and fine but the rivets seem to rust.

Has anyone used real medical quality shears made to be used in an operating room and sterilized dozens of time?

I have read chatter on the subject of more durable shears and someone in the know chimed in to say that if the steel was hardened more they would not function correctly...Hey, they are fairly cheap, especially compared to a dive knife...

Thanks for all the feedback. For the kind of diving I'm doing it really does sound like a shears is all I need south of the water. Above water the knife is often handy.

I'll carry both while diving for a little while longer then ditch the knife for the actual diving part, presumably a couple of dives short of when I'll massively need it :) thus ensuring Murphy's law remains intact.

Cheers,
J

I've taken a pair of kid scissors on board as carry-on, and it was allowed on the US flight since they were shorter than the 4 inch limit but it was confiscated internationally. I think their limit was something like 1.5 to 2 inch blades.

I don't think that 7 hook would have a problem. It doesn't look like a knife, and you claim it's a tool, which is allowed in carry-on. But seriously, those kids scissors are much more dangerous as a weapon than that 7 hook would be. And you are allowed to to bring on surgical scissors, which have 1-2 inch blades, that are specifically designed and sharp enough to cut flesh?!

EMT shears stowed in BC pocket attached with coiled lanyard to inside of pocket; Remora knife with 3" blade attached to the upper left chest area of my BC. Same configuration for years. Have never used either in the water -- probably will need it on my next dive.

EMT shears stowed in BC pocket attached with coiled lanyard to inside of pocket; Remora knife with 3" blade attached to the upper left chest area of my BC. Same configuration for years. Have never used either in the water -- probably will need it on my next dive.

Yeah, you jinxed yourself. I have never needed either in 2000+ dives...

I carry both.

I've only needed the knife once. I was amazed how fast that knife sawed through that errant crab pot line!!!

So far I've been able to break apart the fishing line with my gloves on. If I didn't have gloves, or it was stronger gauge or more strands of it, the shears would be the best.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom