Shears Vs Knife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Always carry a knife... Always. It's better to have something and not need it than need it and not have it. Shears are great as well but never find yourself without a knife underwater.

Always carry a knife... Always. It's better to have something and not need it than need it and not have it. Shears are great as well but never find yourself without a knife underwater.

If I had to choose between the two shears would win hands down. Try cutting steel leader with a knife. Shears would snip through in an instant. Two cutting tools are best as you may drop one in a panic...:shocked2:

P.S. With regard to rescue operations shears also make quick work of harnesses, etc.

After a weekend of diving, I rinse my shears, dry them, every few weeks put a drop of oil on the rivet and work it in. They have lasted 4 years so far.

Anyone think of any reason to carry a knife instead of shears? Apart from it's easier to knife your buddy.

I've both but am wondering whether I might as well leave the knife at home or add it to my kitchen block :wink:

Cheers,
J

p.s. no doubt this question has been asked here before but my search didn't render me immediate results and as is the wont of my generation have not the patience or attention span to trawl through multitudinous threads that may or may not have relevance. Plus I'm setting the house up for Halloween :D

For 5 bucks apiece, carry one of each.....can't go wrong then...:D

After a weekend of diving, I rinse my shears, dry them, every few weeks put a drop of oil on the rivet and work it in. They have lasted 4 years so far.

Same time frame here---& same results, all for 5 dollars...

What are you laughing at? :)

That rope reached out and wrapped itself around my tank valve so fast that I felt like I was in Sea Hunt! As I was being whipped around I grabbed my knife and sliced (well, actually sawed through) through it's tentacle! The wounded creature drifted off as I triumphantly restored my knife to my wetsuit vest pocket.

Now, how would have this turned out if I only had my scissors?

Once again, I recommend carrying both shears and knife - especially in bay and jetty diving. Ropes and lines and an occasional net can mess up a dive.

P.S. It's been mentioned before and if a good reason to use shears when possible. You be very careful what you are cutting with your knife. That "rope" or "kelp" may be you or your buddy's air hose!

What are you laughing at? :)

That rope reached out and wrapped itself around my tank valve so fast that I felt like I was in Sea Hunt! As I was being whipped around I grabbed my knife and sliced (well, actually sawed through) through it's tentacle! The wounded creature drifted off as I triumphantly restored my knife to my wetsuit vest pocket.

Now, how would have this turned out if I only had my scissors?

Once again, I recommend carrying both shears and knife - especially in bay and jetty diving. Ropes and lines and an occasional net can mess up a dive.

P.S. It's been mentioned before and if a good reason to use shears when possible. You be very careful what you are cutting with your knife. That "rope" or "kelp" may be you or your buddy's air hose!

Is that your term for a crab trap? :rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom