Scuba tank volume

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I found two PST High pressure tanks both are 100cf but i found a distrubing document saying that the DOT exception is going to expire may 2011. Does that mean that it wont be possible to do hydros on those tank after this date? Here is the document.
http://www.phmsa.dot.gov/staticfiles/PHMSA/SPA_App/OfferDocuments/SP9791_2007060054.pdf

Cant reach the manufacturer PST, they seem to be closed somehow

The exemption will need to be renewed. This hasn't been a problem for PST tanks so far, despite PST being essentially defunct (as you discovered). If PST doesn't renew the exemption it <may> theoretically be renewed by another person or company. For PST, I wouldn't worry about it.

If the tank you were interested in were a Norris exemption tank then there's a good chance they may not renew their exemption because they have "forgotten" to do so in the past. In which case some of their cylinders were condemned until the DOT convinced them it wasn't a big deal to renew it.

I live in canada, today i got in contact with somebody from Transport Canada, they are the canadian equal to DOT i suppose, they told me they would investigate if it will change anything up here.
I just want to make extra sure not to buy steel tank even used that i wont be able to do the hydros to keep using them. I'll keep posted the answer from the local authorities

Up here the exception is still good up to 2014 but i dont think i will pay for cylinders that i'm not sure if they will still be legal to use in a near future

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom