F90X vs F100 ... to buy or not to buy??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sillago

Reaction score
Hi all,
As usual I have another question that's probably going to get out of hand as usual :D
Anyway..just hoping to get everyone opinion on something: If someone (just imagine it were you) were to buy a new uw system and was choosing between a housed F90X or a F100. Which in your opinion would be the way to go (yes..take price into consideration) and do all the new specs that the F100 really make a difference for uw photography?

P.S. If you already do have a F100 please share your thoughts too!!

Thanx all

:boom:

Can't really help you with specifics because I know nothing about those two cameras. What quality of photos are you after?

I'd compare the features of each and how each would apply to the types of pictures I take. For instance, I love macro shots so if all things are equal I'd go with the one that would give me the closest focal length and/or superior lens.

It's hard to say for someone else. I don't go for bells and whistles if avoidable. Camera durability, ease of maintanence, optical quality of lenses, compatability with housings if needed and add-ons ie., lenses, strobes, etc.

Tough question.

The end results will probably be the same because the glass is the same, the strobes will be the same. You will get a quicker focus with the F100, you will get a a little better metering with the F100 but generally speaking that will really not make that much difference in the big picture. I have the N90s for UW and the F100 for land as I've said. Right now I don't see enough difference to sell my N90s housing and buy an F100 housing. If I were to start from scratch I'd probably get the F100 & housing only if I had the extra money to burn. But you know how it is even when we don't have the extra money we want it anyway! :)

Just one opinion.

With regards to getting an N90S or F100 for underwater use, here's my thoughts on the subject.

I used an N90S (also F90X) in a housing for about 3 years. Great camera.

But then I went to the F100, which I found to be much easier to use and more user friendly.

The autofocus can be moved from the center of the frame to the four intersect points on the rule of thirds.

The viewfinder information on shutter speed and aperture is bigger and brighter than the N90S.

The viewfinder is bigger and brighter than the N90S.

Autofocus is faster (very useful for following fish).

And there is a feature called "Dynamic Autofocus" which I think of as being "fish focus". The camera tracks the movement of the fish and stays in focus with it. This allows you to fire the shutter faster than without it. This feature is useful for macro.

The F100 also has "Auto Bracketing" You can set the camera to bracket your exposures---automatically.

So yes, the F100 is worth the money. Especially since the price has come way down.

Nancy

I use a Nikon F801/N8008 in a Subal housing but have just bought a Sony p5 digital camera in a Sony housing.

If I was in your position I would seroiusly consider moving to digital. Quality (3.3MP) not so high as scanned silver (2800dpi/4000dpi), at present, but smaller/lighter but instant replay gives good control and identification of if you have go what you wanted.

To answer your question I would go for a F100 over F90 as it is more responsive and has better metering but the critical thing is that the autofocus is faster.

My 801 doesn't focus as fast as the F90 but I don't have many problems except on dives late in the day when there is poor ambient light and on night dives where I have to have a torch strapped to the strobe.
Since the cost of the housing is a major factor this is also a serious consideration.

If price is not the objective, go for the 100. The 90x series has been extremely reliable, but the improvements in AF technology can make a big difference for capturing the "right" moment.

I've been using the 90x series since the beginning, but will be switching soon with either a Nexus or Sea & Sea housing. Been doing a lot of u/w dolphin photography lately, and find that the AF on the 90x can be a bit slow keeping up with the cetaceans!

Tony
www.silent-symphony.com

Hi,

I am using F90X in a housing. I also know the functionality of F100. The advantage of F100 has been well informed by 'nancyscuba' already.

You can already do a lot with the F90X. Remember most excellent UW photgraphers are still using F90X. It is definitey sufficient for most situation you might encounter in the water. Anyway, you want to keep everything simple in the water. You will have too many other things to worry about! Forget about all the fancy features, you might not use them at all.

If you have the $$$, go for F100. It is a better camera with the latest technology as compared to F90X. I personally find that F100 is too expensive to be brought down into the water.

liang

I have an N90s, but no housing yet.... One dollar at a time I guess, any feedback on the best place to get one?

Dave

Hi,

I see that you are not located in Asia. Can't help you much.

You have to consider the after sales support, it is more important than the price.

Let me know if you happen to be in Singapore. I can direct you to a good place for Sea&Sea product. In my opinion, the cheapest place to get Sea&Sea and Nexus products is in Japan.

If you are looking for Seacam (excellent housing), buy "Scuba Diver Australiasia" magazine or visit their website www.scubadiveraustralasia.com. They have quite ok prices.

liang

Can't help you much.

Story of my life. Exotic places, hi tech equipment, Nice ladies, and they cant help me!:banging:

:fork:

I think Ill go kick a cow pie.....

If I get to Singapore, I will definately look you up - just to make you to help with that housing -
:dazzle:

Dave

Back
Top Bottom