The LEARNERS PERMIT!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with what you're saying. I wouldn't expect to teach a diver everything they would need to know in every situation, but I think that a certified OW diver should be able to: ...
You're missing basic survival skills, mask clear, reg recovery, etc.
... It's taught and tested.
Evidently it is not taught well enough or tested rigorously enough to assure that people can actually do the skills and retain the knowledge.
I would suggest that non-divers take a class that covers all of the required material and last long enough that they actually have a chance to learn everything and practice all the skills until they, and the instructor are both happy (not just until "we're out of time").

After a long break, I would suggest a SCUBA Skills Update class. Just asking the DM to help with a pre-dive check is like asking someone on the plane to check your parachute when the real problem is that you don't remember how or when to open it.

Terry
If people had more complete and rigorous training it would take longer for the skills to deteriorate and the knowledge to be forgotten. How to best prepare for diving after a layoff is topic that we specifically cover.

Evidently it is not taught well enough or tested rigorously enough to assure that people can actually do the skills and retain the knowledge.

Very few things are.

There are things I spent years studying that I can barely recall these days, simply because of disuse.

Given the infrequent nature of many recreational divers' scuba trips I think it's fair to question if there would be better retention after a year between a 4 day course and a two week on. I honestly suspect that across a population the difference in retained information would be rather small.

People don't retain information they don't use regularly. And information is usually retained only so long as it's useful. So when the typical person is taking a course, they can recite everything they need to know in order to pass the course. But ask them about it 6 months later and they'll simply not recall much at all.

And that's not just within the realm of short course work such as a scuba course. Take a straight 'A' college student and give them a final exam for a course they aced a 6 months ago (and which they did not take a follow up course that covered similar material) and they will do horribly.

People will learn and retain information pertinent to diving by diving frequently. Because most divers do not dive frequently, they don't retain information. Changing training standards won't change the way people's brains work.

There is no doubt that to be a frequent, regular diver someone coming out of OW needs more training.

This might be especially true of tropical destinations where the diving is easier and divers are really pushed through but it depends on the individual. I realize that simply diving is training, and the best training around, but the need to go right into "advanced" or what not is really over rated. Take time and go diving with an experienced buddy that knows the local area. I was able to find good buddies and if anyone new in southern/central CA needs a buddy I'd be happy to dive with you. Personally I had right around 100 dives before I took advanced, and the only reason I took it was because it was free and I needed it as the first stepping stone in the hierarchy. If you feel comfortable, I'd get atleast 15 dives before I took advanced so you can learn a little on your own and then really get the specific help you need from the course. This should make the course more rewarding and you might get more out of it!

Take a straight 'A' college student and give them a final exam for a course they aced a 6 months ago (and which they did not take a follow up course that covered similar material) and they will do horribly.

Changing training standards won't change the way people's brains work.

Nailed it, couldn't agree more! Especially about the whole college thing because I'm in that boat right now.

It might surprise you to remove the chip from your shoulder and read what I wrote.

No chip, just a bit of dandruff. :)

Why? Similar responses are very common among people who have failed to retain information. Most people both over-estimate their own competence and deflect responsibility.

In this case, it is the Instructors who over-estimate the competence of their students and certify them anyway.

I have not disputed the existence of poor instructors. Nor have I defended the rise of a certification industry that rests on top of the diving world. In fact I've been critical of said industry because it encourages and rewards the skirting of standards. But that is not an indictment of the standards per se, and can not be used as a blanket condemnation of training as a whole unless you can demonstrate that what you're seeing is normative.

I was not being critical of all training. I simply voiced my opinion based on what I have observed first-hand. You may not agree, but you cannot discount my observations as invalid.

Why do you believe that the industry "encourages and rewards the skirting of standards?" I agree with you, but am interested in your observations.

It would be interesting to know how many of those you deem incompetent to your liking are infrequent divers relatively removed from their training compared to those who are newly trained. It would also be interesting to know something about the geographic regions they come from, and even the specific shops.

The majority of the divers in this category were newly certified (within two years). In speaking with them, many wanted to take an advanced program and wanted to build dive-time.

I have had occasion to retrain some of the divers that have come to me for further training. In one case it was a PADI Instructor who wanted employment. I also have failed several Instructors who have wanted to crossover to NAUI, ACUC, CMAS because they didn't meet the standard. Some of these enrolled in an Instructor Training Course I offered and I prepared them for this in other areas beforehand. I've been at this for quite awhile and have seen a definite decline of competence over the years. It's nothing new; standards get lowered, skills (like buddy breathing) get dropped from the curriculum and the circle turns.

But we ultimately come back to this: what is the level of risk the participants and industry is capable of bearing?

The industry sees dollar signs. The participants don't know what they don't know.

I am not in disagreement with you that there are a lot of bad instructors out there. Nor am I in disagreement that there are divers who's skills leave something to be desired.

Agreed. These same bad instructors generate bad divers; nothing surprising about that.

Where I disagree with you is that those insufficiency at the rates they occur now are cause for real concern across the diving community as a whole. The available accident data that I've seen strongly suggests that this simply isn't the case in terms of relative risk compared to many other activities where training is required or at least strongly suggested.

I completely understand your point of view and appreciate it. Perhaps I've been exposed to it from a different perspective. It also may be that I'm more passionate about what I do as a diving professional than someone who dives for a hobby looking at the industry from the outside (no insult intended). We do however, hold different opinions. I'm sure there are diving professionals who will disagree with my assessment and other like Thal that have been around long enough to be able to see the difference.

Thanks for the conversation.

Last edited:
I was originally certified in 1971 and dived regularly for many years after that before various life changes saw me move on to other things. This past summer both my sons (21 and 24) got certified through PADI. One of my sons needed his C-card to take part in a research project in the Bahamas for University. They both wanted me to come diving with them so I took the PADI refresher course and I've been diving with them pretty much every weekend since.

Every dive we do, regardless of the purpose, ends up having a training element. Whether it's practicing a safety stop or simulating an out of air situation we always add a training drill to every dive. My point is that (in my opinion) you can mitigate risk by ensuring that certain skills become second nature. Someone who dives a couple of times a year could not possibly get to that point and I would consider them ill-prepared to dive (I wouldn't want to dive with someone whose experience is limited to a trip down south every year or so).

Having fun and reviewing training are not mutually exclusive. In fact I enjoy diving so much more with the knowledge that I have preared myself to competently react to most emergencies. You don't get that confidence from a C-card, you get it from time in the water and practice. I know I am preaching to the choir here but I thought I would chime in.

Bob

I am in a bit of a lack of experience loop, I only get to dive my drysuit about 10 times a year because I work in Saudi Arabia. My first couple of dives back in Scottish waters are a relearning experience, I stay shallow and do drills with my ever so patient buddy. By about dive trip 3 I am back to being confident in my drysuit. I can see how lack of practice leads to lack of motor skills. I doubt if more intense initial drysuit training would have helped. If you have had a lay off a couple of months or more you will be rusty. I would love to dive my drysuit a lot more.

I am in a bit of a lack of experience loop, I only get to dive my drysuit about 10 times a year because I work in Saudi Arabia. My first couple of dives back in Scottish waters are a relearning experience, I stay shallow and do drills with my ever so patient buddy. By about dive trip 3 I am back to being confident in my drysuit. I can see how lack of practice leads to lack of motor skills. I doubt if more intense initial drysuit training would have helped. If you have had a lay off a couple of months or more you will be rusty. I would love to dive my drysuit a lot more.

There's a difference from tuning-up your skills and never having the skills in the first-place. You know what you need to accomplish. A poorly trained "certified diver," thinks he knows what he doesn't.

More people are killed by what they don't know, than what they do. If you know about a problem, you can plan to avoid it in most circumstances.

Hey. I think I'm one of the divers that you are talking about. Ie only dives on holiday

I passed my Open water and I've not been again, sadly for 5yrs.
I've decided I want to take up diving again.
So I'm going back to learn with a refresher course and after that the AOW hopefully but if I have to i'll do the OW again.

Even though I could go off and join any Dive vaction after this or even now. I wont
Because like you I dont believe I have all the skills yet. I have some and more I need to learn.
Sadly I can only dive once a year. Really dont fancy doing cold murky UK waters.( May be when I get better) So my next years dive will once again be a padi course instead of a dive vaction of a boat.

Eventually I will get skills so I will be able to dive with a buddy in an an organised dive, but right now I certinaly dont think I'm qulified just because I have my OW.

It not really the fault of the course, but the mindset of the people that have taken them, that makes them believe they are ready to dive anywhere with anybody.

Last edited:
Very few things are.

There are things I spent years studying that I can barely recall these days, simply because of disuse.
I guess I'm lucky that way, I don't seem to lose that much over time.
Given the infrequent nature of many recreational divers' scuba trips I think it's fair to question if there would be better retention after a year between a 4 day course and a two week on. I honestly suspect that across a population the difference in retained information would be rather small.
I don't know what the boundary is. I know that there is little retention for a two day to two week course, but that retention is rather good for a semester course. Just were the change occurs in between is open to debate.
People don't retain information they don't use regularly. And information is usually retained only so long as it's useful. So when the typical person is taking a course, they can recite everything they need to know in order to pass the course. But ask them about it 6 months later and they'll simply not recall much at all.
That is, I feel, a failure for both the person and the course.
And that's not just within the realm of short course work such as a scuba course. Take a straight 'A' college student and give them a final exam for a course they aced a 6 months ago (and which they did not take a follow up course that covered similar material) and they will do horribly.
That's not been my experience, can you provide a reference?
People will learn and retain information pertinent to diving by diving frequently. Because most divers do not dive frequently, they don't retain information. Changing training standards won't change the way people's brains work.
Retention has to do with the way in which information is moved from short term memory to long term memory. This is an exploding field at the moment and from what little I've read (so far) there seems to be much more to it than simply a question of recently and repetition.

In any case I oppose the idea of calling a certification a "learner's permit." A learner's permit allows a new driver to drive a car under optimum conditions with a licensed driver sitting next to them. I would be good to have such a construct for diving, I been asking for the industry to come up with such a card for over three decades. But a certification card, as it is currently constructed, means that someone should be able to dive under conditions similar to those of their training with a SIMILARLY skilled buddy, that's not a learner's permit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom