Technical equip quest from a newb

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

guitarmaker

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
The next major piece of equipment I need to purchase is a BCD and on recommendations, based on versatility, from my instructor and others I'm leaning towards the DiveRite. My question to you all is why is the DiveRite style BC considered for technical diving while a jacket is not?

See, I told you it was a newbie question!

Thanks in advance,

Ron

:confused:
:newbie:

The capability of hookin up doubles, is my answer to you. Now when going diverite, there are many different ways to go, the basic is fine, and then you have all the rest, harness wise, I have them all, and like them all. Get the super wing and your set. I like diverite cause I can change any config in a hurry. I travel with the wreck wing. Get a al, and ss, plate, after a few small purchases through the year, you will see the versatility that diverite has.

Happy Diving

A basic answer is that most "technical" diving commonly uses two tanks (doubles) and most jacket stype BC's do not have the stability/attachment methods to handle 100+ lbs of steel tanks.

The Dive Rite BC is a backplate & wings (BP&W) style. You can learn all you ever want to know about them by doing some searching here. One of the benefits is the modular nature, which allows you to change harness types, plate types (different weights) and wings sizes (lift and size) depending on what type of diving you do.

John

You could search this forum and read a few million threads about jacket BCs vs. backplate/wing systems. Dive rite makes backplate/wing systems as well as a soft pack called the transpac that some people love, I don't.

If your OW instructor is heading you in the direction of dive rite gear, that's an indication that he/she is better than average IMO. The recreational jacket BC is among the worst designed bit of dive gear ever invented, again IMO. It's good for floating nervous students like corks on the surface, and feeling nice and cozy wearing street clothes in a dive shop, and for (sort of) being able to fit a multitude of bodies. Too bad none of these factor into actual performance while diving. But I'm slightly opinionated about it.

Hey what kind of guitars do you make?

My question to you all is why is the DiveRite style BC considered for technical diving while a jacket is not?

Hi Ron, I suppose this largely depends upon the application. BC's like the Zeagle Ranger can be configured to take doubles as well. I think that a BP/W has more versatility than a BC and generally gives a lower profile for snagging in wrecks.

Each has it's advantages, I prefer a BC for teaching rescue classes. The BC in-water position is naturally more vertical, where the BP/W tends to be trimmed neutral or is horizontal. I find the more vertical position more advantageous when dealing with a surface emergency, but that's just my opinion.

BP/Ws can be reconfigured for different types of dives. Say you wanted to dive with a 3mm suit in warm water, had doubles and were planning a deep dive. Some divers may elect redundant buoyancy by utilizing a double bladder wing. Another diver may elect to use a light wing for travel; one could be swapped-out for the other.

Good luck with your purchase!

The next major piece of equipment I need to purchase is a BCD and on recommendations, based on versatility, from my instructor and others I'm leaning towards the DiveRite. My question to you all is why is the DiveRite style BC considered for technical diving while a jacket is not?

See, I told you it was a newbie question!

Thanks in advance,

Ron

:confused:
:newbie:

Mattboy already explained some of the reasons why DiveRite BC (along with OMS, Halcyon, Oxycheq, Apex, DSS, Hollis, ad infinitum) is considered to be technical diving gear.

Most technical divers use double-tanks as their main air source (not counting pony bottles and decompression bottles) and double-tanks don't mount too well on jacket style BCs. These setups are best mounted to a rigid plate of some sort (steel, aluminum, plastic).

DiveRite also has the Transpac which is generically known as a soft plate. This Transpac is very versatile - a jack of all trades but alas master of none. With an adaptor kit, it can be rigged to carry double-tank configuration but because the plate is soft, it's...well...not rigid, so the double tanks can shift a bit on your back instead of staying put. On the other hand, with another adaptor kit, you can do sidemount (one tank on each side of the body). Then with another adaptor kit, you can mount a rebreather to it. For single tank diving, it's extremely comfortable but gives you the freedom of movement ala backplate/wing BC. But its raison d'etre is that it was designed to carry a heavy rig in reasonable comfort because it distributes the weight of the rig the way a mountaineering backpack does. Dive Rite invented this style of BC after having to hump & drag their rigs up and down mountains and in & out of caves.

So, what does one do? If you're a hard core tech/rec diver who does both types of diving on a regular basis, then get a BPW and set it up for double tank rig. Use the Transpac for single tank rec diving or sidemount diving/rebreather diving, or when you anticipate some serious humping to get to your dive site.

The nice thing about the Transpac and the backplate/wing system (by anybody) is that you can change out the wings for proper lift applications. If you're diving single-tank recreationally and not harvesting shellfish or anything heavy, then a wing that has lift capacity of 18-lbs to 30-lbs will do just fine. If you're going to harvest shellfish then maybe a 40-45lbs wing would do too (or use a lift bag). If you're going double-tank then you'd need a wing with 50+lbs lift depending on the size and type of the double tanks. Not with the Transpac, but with a typical BPW system, you can also change out the harnesses as well. Simplicity? Single, continuous 2" webbing (aka Hog harness). Quick adjustability? Trade out the Hog harness for a quick release/quick adjust harness. Modularity is the name of the game with the BPW system.

I have a Dive Rite Transpac and it's great. I also have a backplate setup from OMS. Regardless of what you get, I strongly recomend checking out Leisurepro.com. They have hands down, the best prices on the net. If you buy from Divegearexspress, you'll pay 40 - 60 % more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom