New snorkel/mask/fins - would love your input/thoughts!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yea, I guess your right, I am a little biased.

I just think that there are so many advantages of our system that I had to let you know we're out there before you decide on your equipment. In the next week or so, I should have videos on our website of the final prototype explaining all the features and benefits.
enjoy

You have already gotten great advice, but I wanted to affirm my personal belief that you get a mask that fits from a store (so if it leaks later, you can return it) and a simple snorkel that is a J type that is not dry or semi-dry. That's stuff expensive, overly complicated, and it breaks. As far as fins, get ones that aren't heavy, pack easy, and don't smoke your calves. If your dive shop has a pool, ask to try a few pairs first to find ones you like!

Hopefully I see you around, I love skin diving as well.

Since it is what I believe, I'd like to take the contrarian position that mask fit isn't the big deal that it used to be. I have a fairly narrow, smallish face and, going back twenty years or more, many masks would be leaky and useless. My most recent entry into snorkeling was about ten years ago and I've bought seven or eight masks by mail order over the decade. It seems to me that the progress has been from tiny, no problem type leaks to absolutely-nothing-gets-in-the-mask, which is the way they make them now. I do think that the Atomic frameless are significantly better masks than I ever previously owned (I have both the clear and the black), but I have a few others on hand and they are also leak-less and comfortable. Of course, I am only speaking about recreational snorkeling.

Finding an mask to fit a face properly is going to be a tough for everyone. This is how I narrow down selecting a mask that fits my face properly. The 2nd article below is about snorkels and you might find this info useful before choosing one.
Gear

B.Alex
This article has the following quote:
#2 Physically push the mask on your face: Your objective in this step is try to replicate a deep dive pressure on your face. Have your mask on and get in front of a mirror. Next, you will be (almost) cupping your mask with your hands and physically push the mask on your face as hard as you can for about 10 to 20 seconds. Use the palm of your hands or hold the maskÃÔ frame with at least 3 fingers and thumb with each hand. Try to add more pressure towards the forehead area. If there is any annoyances, you should notice it during this time. Pay attention to the nose-bridge & forehead area for any discomfort. Take off the mask, look into the mirror (donÃÕ get distracted by the ugliness) concentrate in the areas that is bothering you, you should see track marks. Compare the design of masks that fit you and the ones that donÃÕ and you should see the difference. (emphasis added)
Note the emphasized area--I would never do that to determine the fit of a mask, and I've been fitting my masks since 1959. There should be no excess pressure on a mask even if you go deep, as you are adding air through your nose to equilize the pressure. If you are not doing this, you are not understanding the physics of diving, and the potential for a mask squeeze. We don't use goggles in diving precisely because they can cause these kinds of squeeze injuries (pearl divers are an exception, but their goggles are so tight-fitting, and have very little air space, that the eye simply goes into that space). The mask should fit with a simple nasal inhalation to create a slight decrease in pressure. If it does not stay on your face without the strap, it doesn't fit. But underwater, the diver should be using a nasal exhalation to equilize the pressures, and the depth should not matter at all. For free divers, there are special "low volume" masks for free diving (breathhold diving) that do not require so much air to be used for this equilization of pressures. Some free diving masks also have rudder inserts that take most of the air space out of the mask. But these masks still need to be equilized to avoid a mask squeeze.

SeaRat

SeaRat,
we agree that mask squeeze will happen when diving into the deep. Step #2 is being proactive with a regular-mask before taking a dive. Replicating a mask squeeze on land before you take a dive, should assist you picking a proper fitting mask. I own several masks and the ones that fit comfortably/properly on me have a bridge on the nose/eyebrow area. The ones that do not, pinches my forehead and I have to fidget with my mask through out the whole dive. I did equalize the pressure in the mask during the dive and I still get the same result. Some people might have great luck with equalizing mask squeeze, I unfortunately did not. However I can replicate a mask pinching my forehead by being proactive and doing step #2.

I use the original Cressi BigEyes. The teardrop field of view gives good down-vision. It has stood up well to years of use diving and in pools while teaching.

I also use Cressi-Sub fins, but they're so old they're no longer available, so I won't praise them here. They also have stood up to many years of use. (Oops, there I go praising them!)

-Bryan

SeaRat,
we agree that mask squeeze will happen when diving into the deep. Step #2 is being proactive with a regular-mask before taking a dive. Replicating a mask squeeze on land before you take a dive, should assist you picking a proper fitting mask. I own several masks and the ones that fit comfortably/properly on me have a bridge on the nose/eyebrow area. The ones that do not, pinches my forehead and I have to fidget with my mask through out the whole dive. I did equalize the pressure in the mask during the dive and I still get the same result. Some people might have great luck with equalizing mask squeeze, I unfortunately did not. However I can replicate a mask pinching my forehead by being proactive and doing step #2.
You might check to see whether the mask strap is too tight too. That will enhance the effects of not equilizing. Try, in a pool, using the mask that is comfortable on land, but not in the water, without the mask strap to see whether you have it too tight.

SeaRat

Brand wise, Aqualung has always been good with me, never had any Cressi equipment. Find a mask that fits you, you can tell if a mask fits you by putting it over your eyes and nose, but don't put the strap over your head and inhale. If, when you inhale the mask closes on your face, none the less stays on your face that is a good mask for you. With me, Aqualungs fit the best, but that isn't the case with everyone. With fins, make sure they fit comfortably, but are tight enough they won't fall of your feet. With the snorkel, I would recommend a snorkel with a purge button, that way if water where to enter the snorkel you wouldn't have to stop and clear the snorkel you could just press the button and the water will be released for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom