New snorkel/mask/fins - would love your input/thoughts!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

herbsandspices

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new to the world of snorkeling, but plan on doing a lot more travel these days, and since I don't own any gear, I thought I'd do a bunch of research, and have come up with TOO MANY OPTIONS!

I've decided to buy all Cressi gear - I really love that it's all made in Italy (or at least the items I am interested in)... could be that my girlfriend is Italian and it'll make her happy, which is what it's all about! :Kissy:

My uses will be casual snorkeling - mostly calm, shallow waters. I have some experience snorkeling, but have always rented gear (which is always rather... well, rented).

Snorkel:
Cressi Delta 1 or Delta 2 - which one would be better for snorkeling? Seems like the Delta 2 is more appropriate, as the Delta 1 is more Scuba-friendly, which I don't plan on doing any Scuba at this point.

Masks:
Cressi Big Eyes Evo, Big Eyes, Piuma... Again, not sure which would be best for my uses. A big field of vision is important to me... I should say that I have a slightly narrower face. The Evo seems great, but the folks at Leisure Pro recommended I get the original Big Eyes. I dunno!

Fins:
Reaction or Pro Star (or maybe the Pluma) - want something comfortable and not too huge - I don't plan on doing any crazy free diving! Seems like the full-foot bigger/stiffer fins might be uncomfortable after a while? But I do want a full-foot fin.

I have no budget, and enjoy investing in as high-quality gear as I can the first time around!

Thanks a lot you guys - I've learned a lot while lurking lately, and look forward to participating, when I have something worth saying!

john

First.

FIND A MASK THAT FITS YOU. Features don't matter if the mask doesn't fit. Thus, you need to buy it from a real store where you can try it on.

Finding an mask to fit a face properly is going to be a tough for everyone. This is how I narrow down selecting a mask that fits my face properly. The 2nd article below is about snorkels and you might find this info useful before choosing one.
Gear

B.Alex

hey John,

Whatever equipment you decide on, I hope it serves you safely for several years. Don't overlook the importance of proper care of these essential items. Nonetheless, go out and have some great experiences!

Thanks guys! Due to your advice, I may end up going to a shop here in Chicago - there are a couple of shops, although they're out in the :p BURBS!
Best,
john

Yea as far as gear goes...

The best mast Ive ever owned (was recently stolen :( which sucks) was the Atomic frameless. I used to sell it when I worked at Divers Direct and it tended to fit a lot of peoples face and is great for freediving because it has a great range of visibility and is still a low volume mask. As far as fins... I went with the Cressi something 2000's and I looove them! And I dont use a snorkel most of the time so I couldnt really help you there, although if your freediving or are in calm water I would go with a very simple J snorkel. It is less bulky and has less stuff on it to break!

And like most people said...its all about personal fit...whats best is to just go into a store and try out everything they have until you find what fits best. and if it fits perfect...there will probably be little hessitation...you'll just know that thats the right one for you.

Happy/safe diving!

My advice, reflecting the sage counsel you have received so far, is also to search for snorkelling gear that fits you, not somebody else. Forget about equipment makes and models.

In the case of fins, any type is a candidate for use in snorkelling. I've seen snorkellers at La Jolla Cove in Southern California swimming with fixed open-heel bodyboarding fins, adjustable open-heel scuba fins, full-foot standard-bladed swim training fins and full-foot long-bladed freediving fins. The common factor was that everybody was enjoying themselves immensely. When trying on fins, don't just consider whether they fit your feet length-wise - individual fins are sized in a range of sizes, e.g. 10-12, not single sizes - check too that they are broad or narrow enough to accommodate your feet and that the foot pockets are tall enough to match the height of your arches. Loose fins will generate blisters or fall off. Tight fins will cause cramps. If you are planning to wear lycra or neoprene (wet) or latex (dry) socks with your fins for protection and warmth you still have the option of using full-foot fins with them, but wear the socks when you are trying your fins on for size. Finding a pair of fins that fit is something of an odyssey. Over the years I am fortunate to have discovered several pairs of full-foot all-rubber fins that I can wear when snorkelling in the cold waters of the North Sea off the English coast. That's my own choice of fins but you have no reason to follow my lead. Rather you should problem-solve your own choice of fins, deciding which criterion - power, manoeuvrability and endurance - matters most for you, not for somebody else. You may wish to borrow a selection of different styles of fins to help you make up your mind what best matches your snorkelling needs.

As for masks, I agree that fit is paramount. To test whether a mask fits you, apply the inside of the mask to your face without attaching the strap. Breathe in through your nose to create a partial vacuum and if the mask remains on your face unsupported, it's likely to be a good fit. You can only tell for sure, however, if you wear the mask in water and swim around with it on. I prefer traditional rubber-skirted oval masks, the kind that I started with back in the 1960s, and I've found a few that fit my face dimensions exactly. However, my preferences should in no way influence yours. In any case, you'll find silicone-skirted masks more easily in dive stores.

A simple, gimmickry-free, J-shaped breathing tube should meet your needs when snorkelling.

Do enjoy snorkelling for its own sake. I've been a lifelong snorkeller and I value snorkelling as a worthwhile, fulfilling and enjoyable activity in its own right, not as a mere prelude to, or a poor substitute for, free or scuba diving. Expensive equipment isn't necessary and you can snorkel in open water anywhere, whether rivers, lakes, seas or oceans. The pioneers of snorkelling, the skin divers of Southern California, chose to snorkel during the 1950s in their own "back yard", namely the coastal waters of Southern California, not some overpriced, remote, tropical resort.

Hi John,

Although it wont be available for a few months, the Ozeon Snorkel and headmount is the best way to go. Go to ozeonsnorkeling.com and take a look

Hi John,

Although it wont be available for a few months, the Ozeon Snorkel and headmount is the best way to go. Go to ozeonsnorkeling.com and take a look

Why will it be the best way to go for me? From the website, it seems like it might be overkill for casual snorkeling, which is what I'm doing.

It looks like a really interesting design and concept, although it seems like you might be biased :D, based on your username "twheelwrig", and the "Troy Wheelwright - Founder & CEO of Ozeon Snorkeling Products, LLC"

john

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom