Dumaguete

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wantonmien

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All,

Just been asked if I want to join a group for a 5 day diving holiday to Dumageute late April.

I've never been there, and have had a search through the forum and don't see too much written about Dumageute - so any comments or advise welcome, is the diving there as good as Puerto Galera, better or equivalent or what ?

Haven't clue yet which hotel or dive centre we'd be using, but again any recent info and advise appreciated.

Cheers

pm Matt Reed or Rhoody. Currently two active threads on Dumaguete in the main forum plus this one http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/philippine-paradise-divers/321153-diving-dumaguete.html.

Diving is in Dauin (20-30 mins. from Dumaguete) and in nearby Apo Island. Been there last year, nice macro life in Dauin dive sites and jacks and barracudas in the northern and eastern portion of APo island (Coconut and Mamsa points). Chapel and Rock Point sites were also some of our best dives in Apo. What happened to Ducomi pier really sucks.

Hi Wantonmien,

In general I'd say the diving in Dumaguette is much better than PG, although there's not as much variety and the sites are not quite as close!

As Caloy said there's quite a few other post regarding accommodation etc :)

Karl

quick answer is that the diving is very good if you enjoy macro, and Apo island gives you pretty nice walls, great hard corals, and some fun drift dives.

Dauin itself is much quieter than PG - in fact much quieter than most dive destinations in the Philippines - nothing happening at night there...

hth

Matt.

Dumagete is known for it's macro diving and muck diving.
Said to be some of the best in the world!
You're in for a great time!!
I had a corneal abraision when my wife and I were there in 2005 and could not dive. My wife said it was a 'rainbow dive', soo many colorful fish and corals.

Got some friends who just came back last month. They love it and the entire dive shop is going there next year. We will be there and staying at Atlantis on April 10-17.

Thanks all for the info, I'll be checking it out and if final prices are all OK, looks like trip with a group from Taiwan will be good.

Cheers

I will also through in my 2 cents worth. First check if it is pre-packaged deal, with someone like Atlantis, if so hit their website, it is pretty good. Checking with Rhoody is also a great idea. this is a great Duma resource(Rhoody's website) Diving and Dive Sites - Dumaguete City Forum.. Good Luck

well, it is not really mine, I am just the noisy annoying voice of DI :D

anyway, you shouldn't get bored with diving a few days in the Duma Area with one or two daytrips to Apo.

When considering a resort make sure the quotation includes all costs. some do charge extra fees for several services, others have all inclusive.

As the Dauin area is 15 km outside Duma you rely pretty much on the resort and it makes a big difference if a beer is 35 Peso or 100+ (beer as an example for other expenses like trips to town food massage and spa :) )

... another example, a trip to Duma and back is for a group 800 each way, some places charge 3 - 4 times as much plus waiting time for the driver.

El Dorado offers this trip for free, but only if it does not interfere with anything else like: airport pick up, the driver is hungry, the resort-cat made a poop ...

Just drop me a line if you need any further information :)

cheers

Rhoody

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom