Trip Report Philippines: 3 weeks in Puerto Galera and Dumaguete

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Who would have believed that this wriggling fish will develop into something completely different. I have to check it when first told.
Never easy to take a good picture of it.

@Trailboss123
Did you see any thrasher shark in PG?
I did not on this trip, but others did.

Another EPIC report! TY!

@Trailboss123 Thanks for the great report! I'm headed to Philippines in April for my first time doing a few days in Anilao and then Tubbataha liveaboard.

I'm traveling via Philippines airlines and was curious about the baggage. I see that we get two checked bags, but the carry on is limited to 7kg's. Typically we do a carry on + personal item (camera backpack for me which is around 27lbs). From what you've seen and experience so I be ok with that, or do I need to look at buying a bag to check my main camera gear?

I also booked through bluewater based off of your LAST trip report :)

I did not on this trip, but others did.
Guide usually takes diver to Kilima Steps for the thrasher shark.
We were diving further south on slow drift from Sinandigan Wall to Turtle Rock and came across two on 05th Dec.
They are definitely around the area as I had came across them on few occasions over last two yrs.

@Trailboss123 Thanks for the great report! I'm headed to Philippines in April for my first time doing a few days in Anilao and then Tubbataha liveaboard.

I'm traveling via Philippines airlines and was curious about the baggage. I see that we get two checked bags, but the carry on is limited to 7kg's. Typically we do a carry on + personal item (camera backpack for me which is around 27lbs). From what you've seen and experience so I be ok with that, or do I need to look at buying a bag to check my main camera gear?

I also booked through bluewater based off of your LAST trip report :)
They never weighed my carry on bags on the international flight. I traveled with 2 carry ons. A larger one that had my camera gear, regulator, mask and computers and some clothes which went in the overhead bin and a day pack containing my laptop and other miscellaneous items. No one said anything. Seemed to be the norm. My domestic flight to Dumaguete was another story. The did weigh the carry on and wanted to limit you to just one carry on.

They never weighed my carry on bags on the international flight. I traveled with 2 carry ons. A larger one that had my camera gear, regulator, mask and computers and some clothes which went in the overhead bin and a day pack containing my laptop and other miscellaneous items. No one said anything. Seemed to be the norm. My domestic flight to Dumaguete was another story. The did weigh the carry on and wanted to limit you to just one carry on.
Thanks! I kinda figured that on the domestic flights. Last question for you....typically I put my reg's in carry on's, looks like that has been an issue when leaving Philippines. Looks like the best way would just be to toss them in a checked bag on the way out. Is this also what you do?

Thanks! I kinda figured that on the domestic flights. Last question for you....typically I put my reg's in carry on's, looks like that has been an issue when leaving Philippines. Looks like the best way would just be to toss them in a checked bag on the way out. Is this also what you do?
I normally keep my regs in my carry on. On this trip, since I was going to be diving for 3 straight weeks, I brought a backup reg set. I did put them in my checked bag as I was concerned that they might weigh my carry-on's. I normally put my reg set in my carry-on though.

Great trip report. I dive in the Philippines often but never in Luzon, so you might have convinced me to try somewhere new. It sounds like you were on the Divers Ready tour!

And @staggsSevin I haven't had a problem carrying my regs with me into, around, and leaving the Philippines. Anecdotal so YMMV. They do weigh domestic carryons sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom