Puerto Galera April trip plan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JDelage

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've been scoping flight and stay options and this is what I'm thinking about. Please tell me if something doesn't seem right:

- Monday - Depart US West coast on Air Korea flight. Land in Seoul on Tuesday, 3h45mn layover, then fly out from Seoul and land at Manila Terminal 1 at Midnight. Sleep in a hotel close to airport.
- Wednesday - Go to Puerto Galera. I was recommended to get on the Si-Kat ferry. Arrive in Puerto Galera. Introduce myself to Asia Divers, etc.
- Thursday to Friday (8 days later) - Dive!
- Saturday - Last dive maybe. Make my way to a Manila hotel, either downtown or close to airport.
- Sunday - Get to the airport in time for the 12:20pm flight to Seoul, then layover, then return flight to US.

What do you fine people think?

I flew direct on Philippine Air from LAX. This cost me an extra $300, but the 14 hour flight time was sure nice in comparison to the 20+ hours you are looking at.

I arranged a driver through my hotel.(~$90) the night I landed (I landed at about 6pm ish and was through customs etc by 7pm) They met me at the airport and drove me to a basic hotel next to the ferry terminal. I slept 6 hours and caught the first ferry over at 8. The Si-kat means you are fighting manila traffic in and out, and you lost a day of diving. If you are going to take the si-kat bus / ferry then you should stay overnight near the city state tower where the bus leaves from.

I picked up a trike right outside the ferry and 20 minutes later I was at the hotel, and making arrangements for the dives that day, two dives that day only.

On the way back, work with other folks who are staying at your hotel. I was able to split a speedboat / driver and it was $100. They picked us up on the beach front of the hotel and I was at the airport in 3 hours.

I would run out of dives in PG in 8-9 days. Folks recommended Anilao, and you might think about taking the ferry back to batangas after 6 days of diving, have a driver meet you at the ferry terminal and still get in days of diving in Anilao for all the crazy nudis. Or, just take a speed boat from PG to your Anilao resort(30 minutes vs 2 hours) but money.

Updated Schedule:
Sunday night: Depart West coast
Monday night: Arrive Manila: Driver to Batangas
Tuesday AM: Ferry to PG: Trike to Hotel. Arrange Diving Start diving
Wednesday - Tuesday: 6 Days Dive PG!
Tuesday PM: Take Ferry to Batangas, meet driver and travel to Anilao Resort
Wednesday - Saturday 4 Days Dive Anilao!
Sunday: Driver back to Airport (2.5 hours) to catch flight back to west coast arrive Sunday.

Thanks to everyone who posted before as I was planning my trip last year. The 30 hours flying and jet lag was tough and I wanted to get as much diving in as I could. Have fun and enjoy the food.

@profmason - Thank you for bringing that to my attention. For me in Seattle, a flight from LAX doesn't save me any time, but this reminds me that I should look at SF options.

@JDelage
Arrival and departure time is most crucial to plan the trip to PG if one does not want to spend US$300.00 on round trip transfer.
Public ferry from Batangas to Balatero has been pretty unreliable over last few yrs. There are three sailings in the afternoon at 13:00, 14:00 and 16:00 but it is the first one that I have confidence with.

Arriving late in Manila after a long flight? Two options: hotel in Manila or arrange a direct transfer through the host in PG to Batangas pier. The first ferry is scheduled at 06:00. The driver should be able to direct you the way to the terminal, not easy to find in the dark strange place.
Cheap place to stay near Batangas Pier:
RGR Traveler's Inn, Stayed there couple of times because of missing the last ferry and too late to travel to Calapan.
There should be others.

To be honest, you really do not need any agent to arrange the trip. It is NOT complicated at all.

Book the flight first and then.........

My flight lands at Midnight. Not sure which terminal yet (flying Korean Air). I probably will find somewhere to spend the night near the airport and make my way to the pier ASAP in the morning.

My flight lands at Midnight. Not sure which terminal yet (flying Korean Air). I probably will find somewhere to spend the night near the airport and make my way to the pier ASAP in the morning.
You had already bought the ticket?
KE lands at T1 and there isn't any hotel near by and there isn't anywhere you can get food at the terminal at that time either. T1 is suck big time.

Clearing immigration and custom shouldn't take long so early in the morning. So you should out of the arrival hall around 01:00.

1. How are you going to travel to Batangas Pier? Private or public(bus/taxi)?
2. Have you decided which resort you are going to stay in PG?

I can only proceed if I know the answer of those two questions.

I bought the ticket today after researching my various options.

1. I don't know yet for sure. Trying to research that. I suppose I'll have to get a cab or Grab to a hotel somewhere. I've been recommended the Belmont on Tripadvisor. Early the next morning I'd get another cab to the PITX bus terminal and get a bus for Batangas...? Or a car if I can find one to take me to Batangas.

2. Almost certainly El Galleon, but I haven't booked yet.

@JDelage

You should be out of the terminal around 01:00 if there is no delay.
Belmont is very near to T3 and room is about US$50.00(P2,700.00).
PITX is open 24hrs.
I always take the bus from the terminals near Gil Puyat LRT station but had used PITX when coming back from Batangas. The earliest one I ever took was 03:00.

The one at 10:00 is the best for you but you need to be at the terminal an hr ahead so you have to board the bus before 07:00.
The one at 13:00 will give you couple more hrs to sleep but use that one as your last resort.

How about directly from T1 to the Pier?
Traffic will be very light and you should arrive around 03:30 by taxi/GRAB. Bus will take a bit longer but much much cheaper(P300.00).

If you do not mind to pay P5,000.00 for the direct transfer then your host at PG should be able to arrange one for you. AFAIAC this is your best option especially you will be extremely tired. You can ask the driver to stop anywhere along the Highway for something to eat or use the bathroom etc etc. The driver will be reliable and will drop you off at the right place to catch the ferry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom