California Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LisaMarieXD

Reaction score
I'm planning a trip to california this summer and I'm wondering if there's any good diving/where one would go to find such a thing?

In Southern California the best diving is in the offshore Channel Idslands of Catalina, Anacapa, Santa Rosa etc. Some good shore dives in San Diego. Great diving in the Monterrey area in Norther California. Expect water temps of high 50s up to low 70s.

California is a big state, so recommending dive spots and conditions depends on where you will be, and when you will be there. Check out the California Kelp Divers forums: California Kelp Divers and look at both Nor Cal and So Cal. Lots of good info there, and then post in the area you will be going for more specific advice.

Some general comments:

I hope you like kelp. If not, you will before you leave.:D

Water is from low 50's to high 60's depending on where and when. Shore diving is very easy to come by, but there are also lots of boats, especially in So Cal.

Channel Islands & Catalina are spectacular. Monterey also has great diving.

I am sure wherever you go you will love it.

Welcome to the 'board!!!

Like stated before, California has alot to offer....let us know about where your plans take you and please feel free to drop on down to our local forums and join in our fun here:
SoCal - ScubaBoard or NorCal - ScubaBoard

Any good diving in California? Why California is pretty much where diving started in the States. Our kelp forests are world-class destinations. The suggestion of the Channel Islands is spot on in my book (and not entirely because I live on one of them). Plenty of dive boats heading out to the islands from mainland SoCal ports (check out "California Diving News" by Googling it), or you can visit Catalina and dive the dive park right here in Avalon.

If you want to know about chartered boat trips and other California diving brouse the Los Angeles diving web site. LAdiver.com: Los Angeles County Scuba Diving Resources

It will make a difference where you plan to be as well. If you come to Southern California we all like the Laguna Beach area. If you are going to be in Los Angeles then you might want to go over to Catalina. San Diego is a different take on diving because they have 1/2 day boat trips out to the man made wrecks. You need to be specific on where you want to go.

I'm looking into a late July Channel Islands trip. Any idea what kind of exposure protection I need? I was thinking 7mm, hood (or at least beanie) and gloves. I'm a Caribbean diver mostly, and I wear a 5mm in mid to high 70s water.

Should be mid to low 60s. 7mm + hood + gloves should be fine (maybe a hooded vest if you want to stay a bit warmer).

Back
Top Bottom