Spending a month in Indonesia - where to dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ze_Abron

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Part 2 of my Asia trip is a month in Jakarta.

So I would like advice on where to spend my weekends diving in or near Jakarta? Recommended dive shops/operators? Average costs?

Also, if I have the time, I would like to do at least 1 trip to another part of Indonesia - where should I go? how do I fly there? Recommended dive ops? costs? etc!

Many thanks!!!

Local dive club or dive center in Jakarta typically conduct weekend trip or day trip to Thousand island, anyer, krakatau, ujung kulon or Lampung. Just check/join local diving forum Redirecting... you'll find people arrange a dive trip or looking for buddy. Mostly in bahasa but sure somebody will reposne if you post in english.
Cecelia Ann boat, based in Anyer typically offer 2 or 3 days diving trip around west Java.

From Jakarta you can reach Bali, Manado / Lembeh, Ujung Pandang, Ambon, Sorong/Raja Ampat easily. Dozen daily flight to Bali. All these place offer great diving.

We went out to the west coast of Java from Jakarta and spent a weekend at Krakatau. We didn't dive but a visit to the island was spectacular, the 'son' of Krakatau was erupting every hour. We camped on a beach opposite for the night. There were people diving who said the diving was pretty good tho not spectacular.

We flew several times with Lion air who were exceptionally cheap for domestic flights and absolutely fine. Depending on how much time you have, Bali would be an easy flight, good diving on the east coast of the island, quick and easy to get to and great value, especially up around Tulamben and the Liberty wreck, and jumping off point for many liveaboards to Komodo....world class!

I would definitely recommend to do a trip to Bali. It is less than 1h away and has fantastic diving, both big fish and incredible muck dives.
Indonesia has the best diving to offer. Then you will have to see what your time schedule allow you to do. Komodo, Manado, Irian Jaya are all indeed world class diving locations and should not be missed!

Hi Ze,

It is actually better to come to Bali for diving during your week end, spending your money for something worth it. As you might already aware of, Jakarta does not have Indonesia's best dive sites. That is why many local divers arrange week end trip to Bali or Bunaken.

Ok Tapas, sold. I'll come to Bali. Where do I sign up with you? (PM me?)

Hi Ze,

I have sent you a message bout your trip to Bali. If you really want to go to Bunaken as well, let me know & I'll help you to find best air tickets from Jakarta to give you chance to explore & visit more areas while you are here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom