Hanauma Bay - Oahu Diving Fatality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Even after the accident the lifeguards only advised swimmers that went past the markers of dangerous currents. They did not flat out ban people from swimming past the markers.

It's a free country, you are free to be stupid.:wink:

I've dived in the area and it's not that bad in the summer, as for the deceased, sorry to hear.

Dive safe,

Celia

I'm a Hanauma Bay "regular" and I go out there almost 6 days per week. I was snorkeling/freediving in that exact area only a few hours before the incident and I can report that the Witches Brew area and the adjacent wall were only slightly choppy. I doubt if the conditions at Witches Brew caused the problem.

My heartfelt sympathies to the diver's friends and family.

I do believe the tide was changing when this happened. I was out there only 20 minutes before the accident. It was slightly choppy on the surface. Strong rip current under the surface. I was not having a good time at it and I had scuba fins. Normally I deal with surge and currents and very harsh conditions all the time. The current I was caught in on Sunday was fairly strong.

There's a photo of the site here: Shore Diving Site Picture for: Hanauma Bay of Oahu, Hawaiian Islands

The arrows in the picture isn't really where you dive, it's where you get behind the reef, it is only about 10' deep right there. There is always a rip by the buoys as they mark the outlets from the inside area of the reef to the outer area. There are only the two outlets, so all the water going back out to sea creates the rip in those areas. Even though there is usually a strong current there when going out through those outlets behind the reef it usually isn't nearly as strong. Don't know what it was like that day though.

Typically the outlet in the center is used as the one on the right usually has some surf there breaking on the reef making it more difficult to get out there. Also the cable is by the center outlet that can be used to help navigate.

On the left side you can see where the witch's brew is, where the point comes out, to the left of that is the witch's brew.

Makes sense there was a current in between that reef. I checked the tide table. It says that low tide was about an hour after the accident so the tide was going out at the time. This guy was pretty big in regards to size and weight and in his 50s. Just a hypothesis but I wonder if he tried to fight the current and became exhausted and blew off his air trying to surface or get into the channel.

I did speak with the dive instructor leading the dive. He was in absolute shock. The two other divers that were on the beach said that the deceased diver had only been diving for about a year and a half. Don't know how many actual dives.

There is one thing that is bugging me. I did not look at the dive gear when the brought it on shore. I am curious to know if the weights were still attached to the BC.

..This guy was pretty big in regards to size and weight and in his 50s. Just a hypothesis but I wonder if he tried to fight the current and became exhausted and blew off his air trying to surface or get into the channel.

There is one thing that is bugging me. I did not look at the dive gear when the brought it on shore. I am curious to know if the weights were still attached to the BC.

Thanks for posting the additional info. I'm very sorry you had to witness the event... it can be very traumatic for everyone involved (I've been there).

In cases like this, we'll probably never really know what happened since it sounds like at some point the victim was separated from the group.

Unless I've misunderstood, the other divers surfaced, and signaled for help, but did not know where the missing diver was?

If that is the case, the victim may have been "missing" for several minutes (at least) before the group got the lifeguard's attention, and the search began. Then another 15-20 minutes past before the jetski arrived, then some additional time to recover and transport to shore... so it is possible the diver had not been breathing for 30 minutes (or longer) before CPR began. If that much time had past, then probably nothing could have been done.

It would be good to know if there were equipment issues, was there still air in the tank, weights, etc.; But with the description of the victim and circustances described, I think heart attack may ultimately be found to be to blame.

I'm very saddened to read this, and my heart goes out to everyone involved.

Best wishes.

It's true that the channel currents can sometimes be quite strong, especially on a falling tide, but the currents only extend a very short distance out into the bay before they dissipate, and the diver was apparently found quite a ways farther out and to the right.

Anyway, there's no need to speculate further. When I go down there tomorrow morning I'll speak with the park staff and the lifeguards, and if I learn anything new I'll post it here.

I am just very impressed that so many of you have taken the time to try to piece this together and I hope that all the information is helpful to the man's family as well as to future diving safety.
I've been a nurse in ER and ICU's (ALS PALS ENPC certified) for a long time and when I saw those strong, brave and earnest young men trying to find and then save the life of this man I felt that your community of swimmers, divers and snorklers were in good hands. I've never seen such bravery.
I made a decision long ago to never second guess the actions of first responders- they all want to save someone's life. But, it is so beneficial to do this sort of "post-mortem" in order to learn as much as possible and perhaps even improve response or prevent deaths.
One thing I will add is that if a victim is clearly deceased but CPR has begun, and there are many frightened bystanders and family nearby, a true professional will continue CPR even to no avail- sans intubation, IV's, meds, etc. That is a very personal decision based on kindness and compassion but one that weighs heavily when bystanders offer to help.
I pray this man's last thoughts were of his loving family and knowing that he died in one of the most beautiful places on earth. Heaven on earth indeed.

Miskatonic, I certainly appreciate your input and contributions here, and I'm not interested in criticizing anyone, taking any sides or anything - but I'm thinking the lifeguards probly did what they could. Shore diving is different from boat diving of course, and those four divers were on their own pretty much. It's unfortunate that the 4 man team or buddy pair or whatever lost track of the deceased, but it seems they did. When you call in outside help for a lost diver, either you find them floating and maybe alive, or if not - it's generally a recovery.

Miskatonic, I certainly appreciate your input and contributions here, and I'm not interested in criticizing anyone, taking any sides or anything - but I'm thinking the lifeguards probly did what they could. Shore diving is different from boat diving of course, and those four divers were on their own pretty much. It's unfortunate that the 4 man team or buddy pair or whatever lost track of the deceased, but it seems they did. When you call in outside help for a lost diver, either you find them floating and maybe alive, or if not - it's generally a recovery.

You are correct about the recovery part. I have actually never had to call for help. Actually up until now I have never actually seen a fatality up close. I am a little traumatized by the whole incident.

I don't know how long this diver was down or without air. When I worked it backwards I saw a series of mis steps that could have made the lifeguard response a lot faster. I am by no means blaming the EMS for this divers death. What I am saying is that they should have done everything they could and not just basic CPR. Recovery or not if the fire department is going to do CPR they should have started an IV and gave bottled oxygen.

From what I saw first hand I don't think I am being overly harsh or overly critical of the first responders. I do know that when somebody with more skill shows up you are supposed to let them relieve you. I am curious as to why the fire department turned down the help of a nurse practitioner/doctor but continued CPR for some time afterwards.

I am frustrated that this person was not given that 1% extra chance to live.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom