Backplate and wings with pony tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

off the grid

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just started diving with a backplate and wing (dive right SS plate, rec exp wing, basic harness). I dive with a 19 cu ft pony mounted on the right side of the main tank since I dive solo most of the time. I've tightened up the harness pretty good but still get a lot of tilt because of the pony when standing or floating at the surface. I assume others have had this problem. What's the best way to correct this?

I put a weight pouch with about a four or five pounder on my lower cam strap on the opposite side from the pony- works like a champ.

I sling my otherwise similar configuration. Full access and a lower center of gravity. Also a sling is cheaper than dirt to rig.

halemanō;5201071:
How about a second 19 mounted on the other side :)

We're starting to look like the Star Ship Enterprise now..... Engage Warp Drive!

I back mount. I went BP/W to eliminate front clutter, not replace it. I tried slinging, its OK until I want to use my camera, then it becomes a PITA.

I do add some weight on the band opposite the pony so I am balanced left to right. I also mount the pony valve down so I have easy access. The quick release cost me $25, so cost is not an issue.

The only real downside (besides not looking tech pretending it is a stage) is I can't hand it off. But since the purpose of my pony is for solo diving, it is no loss for me.

I use an X-bracket mounted on my lower tank band and I don't have any trouble removing the tank. I just reach behind and pull the inside pin. At that point it comes right off.

I mount a 19 on the main tank with a DiveRite Remora mount and to adjust for the weight I rotate my weight belt until it seems compensated. Without the pony my weight belt has a double pouch which keeps the weight over my butt so a rotation of 15-30 degrees still has the weight towards my rear and counters the pony.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom