Where to dive in Costa rica

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've dived a couple of times in Gulf of Papagayo and found the diving as described -- i.e., a lot of marine life, very little pretty coral, and medium-to-poor visibility. I have stayed at Ocotal Resort; it is pretty nice, high on a hill with great views as Vintagediver said and with a decent restaurant, but it requires a cab ride to get into Playa del Coco. Some of the dive shops in Playa del Coco have deals with small hotels near town. These places aren't plush, but they're not bad. I dove with SummerSalt, which has a deal with a small hotel about ten minutes walk from town; it has a just amazing Italian restaurant -- I would NEVER have supposed that to be the case. Rich Coast Diving is another dive op that has hotel contacts (I haven't used that op but it gets pretty good reviews).

One diving "trap" in Playa del Coco is that there are three basic dive areas: (1) the "local" dives; (2) the Cat[alina] Islands; and (3) the Bat (Murcielogos?) Islands. The local diving is okay -- a lot more marine life than Coz, IMHO -- but nothing spectacular. The great diving is at the Cats and Bats, and at a pinnacle called Blackrock that usually is the third dive on the way back from the Bats. The 3-dive trips to the Bats and Cats are significantly more expensive (I think $125 or so) than the local dives. The Cats are about an hour boat ride, and the Bats about 1.5 hours. The Bats are known for bull sharks; I've been to the site five times, and have never seen one (but everyone says "Oh, you should have been here yesterday -- we saw ten of them"), though I have seen quite a few mantas there. The Bats also is tough diving, with fairly low viz and lots of surge and current, and probably a rocking boat between dives. Blackrock is a truly outstanding dive site, one of the best I have ever seen for marine life (and that includes Indonesia), but also is subject to low viz.

In a nutshell, great diving for marine life, some tough conditions periodically, decent hotels, good dive ops, and not terribly expensive. If you go there, PM me with the details since I may go there in mid to late August.

Greeting from Ocotal Diving Beach Resort,

We are located in Playa Ocotal, about 5km from the town of Playas del Coco and we are about a 45min drive from the airport in Liberia. Our dive shop is located in the resort but you do not have to stay in the resort to come dive with us. We run 3 32' foot boats to both local and Bats/Cats through most of the year. Diving in this area is year round with the rainy season being the best time for Bat Islands and the dry season being the best time for Catalina Islands. Local dives are excellent as well, lately we have loads of sharks and eagle rays on the local sites along with a few seahorses and harlequin clown shrimp scatted about. And of course the HUGE schools of fish are present on all the local dives.

Guanacaste is one of the better places to dive in Costa Rica. We are currently running regular trips to Bats and Cats at the moment. Lately the Bat Islands have been amazing. Clear water up to 80ft. visibility, loads of bull sharks on Big Scare and manta have been seen regularly at both the sites. Since we use our own boats to run out there, we usually have trips twice a week.

Please feel free to contact us anytime if you have any questions or would like any more information.

Sorry I forgot the link for our website!!!!! is Scuba Diving Costa Rica at Ocotal Beach Resort.

Ocotal is also proud to be the recipient of Project AWARE's Environmental Achievement Award for the last 5 years. Project AWARE determined that our dive operation met all requirements set forth for Project AWARE's Environmental Achievement Award and shown exemplary efforts to conserve aquatic environments through education, advocacy and action.

Hi there,

How are you? I'm diving at Rich Coast Diving in Playas del Coco and have to agree with the people from Ocotal about the diving here. It's awesome!!!!! If you're here during July/August and you're an experienced diver you should defenitely pay a visit to the Bat Islands. The viz, the Bull sharks, the Manta's, it's great!!! But local diving (within 20 min. by boat) is also worth doing. Even though it's rainy season, that doesn't say anything, in fact July and August are said to be the best months of the year when it comes to viz. And there's so much to see on local dives too, white tip sharks, turtles, different kinds of rays (sometimes in huge schools), seahorses, nudibranches, murayeels, the amount of fish in general will surprise you.

Depending on where we go, our boats go out between 7.30 and 8.30 in the morning and are back around 1 pm. (a little later in the afternoon when gone to Bats) We always go for 2 or 3 tank dives to different dive sites, with at least an hour surface interval in between which gives you the change to have some fruit, cookies, drinks, enjoy the sun (or the shade, we have enough tomatoes in the country already:D) and , most of all, have lots of FUN!!!!

Playas del Coco is a small fishermens town with a fair amount of beach- and nightlife, but if you'll decide to find accomodation outside of Playas del Coco, we'll be more than happy to arrange transportation on your days of diving.

Also, we can help you organise tours apart from diving. Let us know if you would like some information on canyoping, rafting, mudbathing, horseriding, mountainbiking and so on... The sky is the limit...

If there's anything I can help you out with, don't hesitate to contact me.

Zindie

Martin and Brenda van Gestel
Rich Coast Diving Co.
PADI 5* IDC center
Rich Coast Diving - Costa Rica Diving and Adventure
richcoastdiving@windowslive.com
dive@richcoastdiving.com
Telephone: +506-2670-0176

Thanks for the helpful info. I am wondering what the weather conditions and visibility is like in late Oct - early Nov in the diving off Playas del Coco, the local diving, as well as the Bats and Cats Islands? What can on typically expect to see during that time?

Thanks, alashas YouTube - honeymoon2's Channel

Juha_Kristian,
there is no dive operator in Mal Pais or there around.
You may ask in Montezuma for dive trips to Isla Tortuga or check Pura Videa Divers in Samara,
but it's too far away from Mal Pais.

Have fun!

Chris

Back
Top Bottom