Where to dive in Costa rica

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stortecky

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
i have been looking around this board for awhile trying to come up with an idea of where to stay. We are looking at being there two weeks. I would like to spend part of if doing jungle tours and things like that and the other half below water. We like to photo graph all the little fishies and stuff. I am willing to stay at two different place along the trip but really do not want to spend more then 4 hours traveling between the place. First would you recommend Caribbean side or the Pacific side? Where would be a good place to get a mix of diving and the Jungle tours. We are also looking at maybe doing a more laid back trip and staying at a large AI hotel. Any ideas on that would be great. I am open to anything. Thanks in advance

Ryan

The Herradura/Jaco aera is a excellent "base camp" for enjoying Costa Rica above and under the waterline.
We are a short and relaxed 1.5 hour drive from San Jose using the new high way, two of the most desired national parks are within a hour by car, there are canopys, ATV-Tours, rafting, horse riding, fishing, partying, guided day trips to the Arenal Volcano and the hot springs, and, and, and....
Be advised that you will have problems to deceide what activities to do because they are so much...

Regarding Diving; see our homepage at:
HERRADURA DIVERS.::. JUST DIVE INTO IT - PLAYA HERRADURA, COSTA RICA
Welcome to Facebook | Facebook
to get more informations and read what our clients say about us.

Best regards and happy planning!

Chris

I'm having a hard time trying to figure out the dive options in Costa Rica as well. First, is it better to fly into Liberia or San Jose for the purposes of being closer to dive operators?

Also, it seems the only day trips are to Herradura/Tortuga - but those locations don't appear to be that exciting - is that the case?

Are there any 2 day liveaboards in Costa Rica - all I'm finding is 5-6 days.

Thanks, I'm planning a trip for end-of August

d4jaj1,
the best option for diving on end of August will be Tamarindo/Playas del Coco due low viz conditions.
I close my shop as soon it start to be "nasty" here and will reopen in december when diving get's again exciting.

Regarding what is exciting or not; Travel Writer Genna Maria Robustelli was very excitet about diving here and with us:
Day 3: Adventures at Turtle Island | Costa Rica Travel Blog
Day 2: The Amazing Rays | Costa Rica Travel Blog

I don't know what you expect from diving here in Costa Rica, but the diving conditions vary not a lot between north and south, west and east. The only "real" exciting place to dive in Costa Rica is without any doubt Cocos Island, but as you discovered there are only liveaboards going there for a minimum of 5 days. Why that? Isla del Coco is more than 200 miles offshore and so the cruise over there take 36 hour, so you will spend 3 days cruising over and back from there.
One "special" place is Isla del Caño all in the south but end of August viz will be lesser than the usual 30-60 feet.

Best regards

Chris Karrer

Thank you for the response Chris. Pulling up Playas del Coco/Tamarindo in Google maps seems to indicate it's better to fly into Liberia. For my schedule & your article, looks like a Tortuga Island is my best option.

I'm getting August isn't a good time to dive due to viz, waves and perhaps hurricane season. So will most dive shops be closed end of august as you might? Is "low" season pricing in effect during this period (8/25 through 9/1)

I dove out of Playas del Coco and would recommend it. It is close to Liberia, but flying into San Jose would not be too bad, either. If I were you, I would spend a week at the coast and then a week inland to do some tours. The drive from Tamarindo/ Playa del Cocos to Arenal is beautiful (but slow- welcome to CR), and there is a ton of worthwhile things to see in the area- Arenal is an active volcano and it is constanly burping rocks and lava. The Tabacon hot springs resort is near the base of it. We were relaxing there one night after a long day of canyoning and cave touring and the volcano put on quite a show. They also have the obligatory zip lines and canopy tours there as well. Another option would be to continue down the Nicoya and see Mal Pais and Montezuma, catch the ferry across the Punta Arenas, then head south towards Jaco. I really don't think you can go wrong in CR, just a beautiful place to visit and tons to see and do.

I stayed at Ocotal Beach Resort in Playas del Coco. Dove the National Park Bat Island. Every dive had big animals. Eagle Rays, White tips, Mantas, Whale sharks. Visability is not Cozumel. The hotel has seen its better days, but the views, dive shop, the sunsets,and the area are spectacular. Fly into Liberia, stay a week, then migrate to Arenal for a few days. Once you have settled into Costa Rica, decide from there. Be careful driving. Keep your tank full. The Ticos are insane. Bring a sweater for Arenal.

When would you say the diving season is over? We have to go some time in july and AUG because the wife is teacher. Is sooner better? What is the Viz at that time of year?

Thanks

When would you say the diving season is over? We have to go some time in july and AUG because the wife is teacher. Is sooner better? What is the Viz at that time of year?

Thanks

The rainy season is now. It begins in April and continues through July. In the South (Jaco) the diving is pretty much over because of the runoff. Playa del Coco to the North in Guanacaste is still good all year. Guanacaste is desert and hot. The visability was 40-60 feet last month. Water temp 82-85 with a wiff of 75 degree water occasionally. Contact Ocotal Beach Resort in Coco.

The rainy season here on the central and souther pacific coast of Costa Rica is from September to November. In May there could be some rainfalls what may influence viz, but between June and August weather get usually better and so viz usually as well.
We are diving almost daily at Isla Tortuga and viz there is still more than good.

Anyway, viz in Costa Rica is mainly and the whole year influenced by Plancton and algeas and not only the silt from the run off.

The best time to dive in Costa Rica on the pacific coast is from December to April, after that the influence of the weather conditions MAY influence viz.
We had today two divers coming with us to Isla Tortuga, he videographer, she UW-Photographer and the dove the days before on 2 well known places here on the pacific.
Their words: This two dives today at Isla Tortuga were the best dives here in Costa Rica.....

If you deceide to go to Playas del Coco or Tamarindo/Flamingo i suggest strongly to fly to Liberia due the drive will be 1 hour instead of 5....

I close my shop for the rain season when viz HERE gets bad because i like to provide fun and safe dives to our customers. When this is not possible anymore (here in Herradura) i close for the rain season and head back to Italy where it's summer and i still have plenty of work.
Other places may have better dive conditions and will still keep open. The Tamarindo and Playas del Coco Area is one of the driest in Costa Rica, so the influence of run-offs should be quite limitated.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom