First dive in first dry suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maximdim

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just got back from pool dive in Etobicoke Olimpium where I was trying my brand new Bare Nex-Gen dry suit. Quite interesting experience after only diving wet. Amazingly it seems that I don't need more weights that I usualy use with 2pc 7mm wetsuit, which is 16lb. That's with T100 Polarwear. I was quite warm during the whole dive ;-) now I'm qurious to see how warm would it be in open water.

When I first got my XCD2 I tried it out in a pool with my CT200. The water in the pool was about 88F to begin with and by the time I got out, I was completely drenched with sweat. The pool wasn't much of an indicator for me as far as how warm the drysuit and undergarment would be, but I've since had it out in 32F water and it's been fine. The coldest parts were my hands as my gloves were not the best.

Congrats on the new gear!!!

I actually use less lead with a trilam drysuit than with a two piece wetsuit. Thats one of the reasons I like to dive dry alot up here in NE. The other reason is cuz its a wee bit chillly...

I had my first in a pool weekend before last. It was an "interesting" experience. Took a few minutes before my hand stopped reaching for the BC inflator. Since the pool was warm and I did not want to overheat, I just went in a long sleeve T-shirt and light track pants. Managed to open one wrist seal twice (didn't have gloves on and after the second realized what I was doing wrong), so soaked my arm to the elbow. Seemed somehow wrong to be mostly dry after an hour on the bottom. My kids were along and got a laugh, when after an hour of diving dry, I took all the gear off, stripped to my bathing suit and jumped in.
Buoyancy was a bit rough at the start, but it was actually easier than I thought it might be. I ended up with ankle weights on and I think I could use just a tiny bit more. Will wait till I try with the heavy undies before buying more though.

I didn't use any ankle weights and didn't have any problem. I found latex neck and wrist seals a little too tight for my taste, have to do something about it. Exhaust valve performance is lower that I had expected, probably just need to get used to, more practice required. :wink:

maximdim:
I didn't use any ankle weights and didn't have any problem. I found latex neck and wrist seals a little too tight for my taste, have to do something about it. Exhaust valve performance is lower that I had expected, probably just need to get used to, more practice required. :wink:

Most seals you have to "trim" a little and I mean a little at a time, apparently it's harder to add to them. :laghost:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom