Miami man dies while spearfishing in the Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Miami man dies while spearfishing in the Keys - Miami-Dade Breaking News - MiamiHerald.com
A 24-year-old Miami man died Monday afternoon while free diving and spearfishing about five miles off shore of Bahia Honda State Park in the Florida Keys, the Monroe County Sheriff's Office said.

The man's name was not immediately released because his family had yet not been notified of his death.

The man was on a private vessel with two friends, a man and a woman, also from Miami. The two men shot a grouper and were trying to get it into the boat.

The male friend told deputies they repeatedly dove to the sea bottom, about 35 feet deep and without the aid of scuba gear, to try to get the injured fish out of some rocks.

The male friend said he saw the victim surface, and that he appeared to be fine. But when the male friend surfaced again, he couldn't find his friend. He dove again and found him not breathing at the bottom.

The two friends pulled the victim into the boat, called 911 and began CPR while heading to shore at mile marker 34 of U.S. 1. Monroe County Fire and Rescue paramedics and two deputies met the boat.

The victim was transported to Fishermen's Hospital in Marathon, where he was pronounced dead. An autopsy will be performed.

Very sad, but not a scuba incident as such. I'm very leery of freediving because of accidents like this.

Always heartbreaking, especially since that's the age of my son, the other instructor in the family. I hate to speculate, but it's possible (dare I say likely) that proper freedive training and safety protocols might have prevented this tragedy...

Always heartbreaking, especially since that's the age of my son, the other instructor in the family. I hate to speculate, but it's possible (dare I say likely) that proper freedive training and safety protocols might have prevented this tragedy...
Maybe so. I did a lot of free diving on vacations, just figuring out what I could do on m own, no instructions, sporting goods store equipment, usually without an inflatable vest. Only after getting into scuba and joining here did I hear about shallow water blackout.

R.I.P., thoughts and prayers to his family.
I don't disagree, but there are good reasons why such is not allowed on this forum. You may start such a thread on Passings if you'd like

I have no way to know for sure, but it sounds like another very common occurance of a spearfisherman reaching the surface safely and THEN blacks out very soon after.

It is critical that the freediving buddy team watch eachother for a probably 20 seconds or so on the surface to ensure that a full recovery is attained after each dive. The buddy needs to be in very close proximity and very attentive, because the recently ascended diver can simply "fall asleep" without any noise, struggle or warning, even AFTER taking a few recovery breaths!

Shallow water black out does not usually occur in shallow water, it occurs at the surface, but people have not really gotten that message as well as they should.

The excitement and adrenaline and physical work required to get a stuck fish from a hole should not be underestimated. Also. many people feel very pressured by a time clock dictated by the expected arrival of a shark. All these factors work against a freediver taking the necessary time to completely relax and recover between dives and to also divert their attention from the fish and hole to their buddy.

Very well put, Dumpster. I believe that he suffered SWB due to his exertions to recover the fish and lack of adequate surface recovery time.

About two years ago I blacked out after surfacing from a freedive to 70' but was extremely fortunate to have been rescued by two of my buddies who were watching me. The rescue was videotaped by someone on the boat we were diving from. Shortly thereafter I signed up for and took the Performance Freediving course which I credit for saving my skin on numerous occasions such as the one faced by the unfortunate young man in the Keys.

It is SOP for me to not attempt to recover fish that hole up immediately after being shot. Instead, I allow my buddies to help till I get over the excitement and calm down. I have endured some good natured ribbing about being a 'sissy' because of this but I'm still here.

Well said k11dorf...[ I hate to speculate, but it's possible (dare I say likely) that proper freedive training and safety protocols might have prevented this tragedy...]

Sadly, when the friend thought the victim was ok at the surface he probably needed more recovery breaths before that could be determined. However, this is still just speculation based on reports of similar incidents.

There is always the chance that a medical predisposition might have made the outcome inevitible (seizure, PFO, asthma, etc), even in the best of circumstances.

So, I would like to wish the friends peace in their recollections and warm memories of the good times spent together as friends. Let them learn and continue to enjoy the underwater world as they did with their friend. I hope for them a gentle recovery from their grief.

Back
Top Bottom