Which sidemount to get?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The SMS100 wing is designed to stay close to the body, sandwiched between backplate and your back like Transpac, and it does not taco in any config (from experience). Have also used the Recon and Nomad, and they don't taco either. Just my $0.02.

My comment was in regards to wings not designed for sidemount systems.

My comment was in regards to wings not designed for sidemount systems.

Gotcha. I was only commenting on the "probably" in your post, and offering a "definitely" from my experience with those two systems you mentioned. It's all good! Have a great day!

Gotcha. I was only commenting on the "probably" in your post, and offering a "definitely" from my experience with those two systems you mentioned. It's all good! Have a great day!

How much experience do you have with the three SM kits you mentioned?

SuPrBuGmAn, I have noticed that several members have commented that the transpac isn't as stable as a standard bp which I believe refers to horizontal movement. What kind of metal bracing short of a bp would be able to make a soft pac or the razor harness as stable as a bp for bm doubles?

SangP

No idea, as stated earlier, my experience with BM on a Nomad is limited, and it was mostly hodgepodging gear together in order to make the dive. I did the dive, perfectly fine.

BMing isn't something I care to do with doubles - unless I plan on doing a tech dive off a larger(ie, not my zodiac) dive boat in open ocean. This is not something I do often at all.

Sigh... and I was hoping to pick your brains on the matter :wink:.

What system are you currently using for your sm rig and any modifications if any?

SangP

Nomad, swapped inflator, moved the wing down a notch, and dive the ever living piss out of it with heavy steels, light steels, aluminums, deco, deep, stages, whatever.

SuPrBuGmAn, I have noticed that several members have commented that the transpac isn't as stable as a standard bp which I believe refers to horizontal movement. What kind of metal bracing short of a bp would be able to make a soft pac or the razor harness as stable as a bp for bm doubles?

SangP

I think the instability others are experiencing is based on the harness not being tight enough, not the lack of a piece of metal. I haven't had any stability issues diving my Nomad in backmount. I will add that I also usually dive it in 85s, though. It might be less stable with bigger tanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom