bpw + wing to accommodate independent doubles & single tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Underwater Tourist

Contributor
Reaction score
When I switched from rec to tec diving, I went straight to sm, without doing any bm, hence some questions:

Is there a bpw set up that can be used for both for single tank and independent double AL80 diving?

The reason I am mentioning independent doubles is because I can get them from a 100% rec dive shop.
So say I do single tank warm water rec diving using a rec dive operator, then I decide to do a dive in doubles. I grab two of their rec-valved AL80, strap them together with this soft tank band Dual Soft Tank Band Holder for independent twins , Piranha Dive Shop | that I can carry instead of the heavy steel one, and off i go. Only question if there is an easy way to attach the tanks to the wing that previous housed just one tank without having to reassemble or bring with me any additional heavy parts?

You will need a doubles wing. A single-tank wing isn't wide enough to develop the needed lift. (Also, trying to use the doubles wing for a single tank isn't a great idea.) If you use a single tank adapter, it's two bolts to swap between singles & doubles.

ETA: I can't tell if that soft doubles mount has a bolt on the other side.

The other option is to sidemount with the right-side tank "valve in" and bungee around the valve handle. On the left side, there's usually enough of a nub for the bungees to catch.

if you use a sta for the single tank, it is as simple as replacing the sta with the independent doubles adapter when assembling the bpw. the problem is that unless if you go with small tanks like LP50s, you will need a doubles wing that will then taco when using just a single tank.

if you use a sta for the single tank, it is as simple as replacing the sta with the independent doubles adapter when assembling the bpw. the problem is that unless if you go with small tanks like LP50s, you will need a doubles wing that will then taco when using just a single tank.
The standard spacing of modern doubles manifolds renders LP50s poor/silly on most acceptable singles wings. Caveat if you find some of the UK and euro manifold you can get quite a bit narrower.

You will need a doubles wing. A single-tank wing isn't wide enough to develop the needed lift.
you will need a doubles wing that will then taco when using just a single tank.
Yep, lift was my concern. There are no "small" wings for doubles that can work for 1 tank without looking ridiculous?

The other option is to sidemount with the right-side tank "valve in" and bungee around the valve handle. On the left side, there's usually enough of a nub for the bungees to catch.
I did sm like that a couple of times, but it was a little annoying on a boat, especially because rec daily boats get mega crowded

ETA: sorry, I was addressing the wrong problem with what follows. Probably best to just ignore.

Could always monkey dive one tank SM. On a rec dive, your buddy should be your redundant air. (At least they're expecting you to be theirs.)

With the tank suitably clipped to a chest D-ring, movement on the boat shouldn't be an issue.

Given the various answers above address your original question, I guess I'm now wondering why you want to dive independent doubles off a crowded rec boat?

redundancy in the case of deeper dives when availability of pony bottles/manifolded doubles doesn't exist. extra gas if no availability of larger tanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom